Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Bridges Out of Poverty


Yesterday Bob and I attended the Bridges Out of Poverty Workshop in Independence. I was representing the board at MC3, the Montgomery County Medical Clinic. Bob was representing PINCH , People and Institutions for Cultural Harmony, a group to which he belongs that promotes racial harmony. Marilyn, Pat and Howard went representing Genesis, a local group that helps low income people of our community with their utility bills, rent and food. It was a very good workshop presented by the SRS office out of Chanute, Kansas.

Afterward our group went to eat lunch together. It was a good day.

This top photo is of one of the two presenters from Chanute's SRS office.
The bottom on is of Marilyn and Ginny taken during the break.

I had read the book the material from which their material was taken before. It was written by Dr. Ruby K. Payne. Many of the schools in our area require their teachers to take the course and read the book before school starts since we have so much poverty in this area. I read it when I was administering the Independence FAST (Financial Assistance Short Term) ministry. I also gave the book review at several civic clubs in the area to help them to understand the situation in which the poor find themselves trapped in today's society where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the middle class is fast disappearing.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I cannot believe all the wonderful community services you're involved in. You put the rest of us to shame. You're a good American.

Margie's Musings said...

Well, thank you. I just do the things that come my way.

My goal in life is to help build community in my community and my neighborhood. I believe that's the only way we will ever see peace in our world.

Most everyone I know who is retired does community service of some kind.
I'll bet you do too, Linda.

Judy said...

Margie, You stay so busy, you sometimes make me tired to read all the stuff you are doing and participate and take a part in for your community and church. I love helping people out when they need a helping hand but I don't think I am as energetic as you must be. My hat is off to you!