Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Eventful Day!

Well, everything I had planned got canceled today. A friend called this morning at 7:00 and said there was an ambulance in my sister's driveway and it had been there for quite awhile. She wondered if I knew. I called my sister's house but no one answered the phone. So I jumped in the car and ran over there. Sure enough the ambulance was still in the drive. My brother-in-law was in the front seat so he rolled down the window and told me my sister had fallen on the porch and had hurt her hip and couldn't get up.

I went home and called and canceled all my appointments for today and went up to the hospital. Sure enough, her hip was broken. It seems the hip broke and then she fell. She had just had a bone density test a couple of months ago and they said then that she was all right. Evidently not...from the looks of the x-ray. The ball was broken off the hip bone and will now die in the socket so the surgeon will replace the ball with a new one...probably stainless steel, and put screws in the bone to hold it. The surgery will be tomorrow afternoon sometime. It is not yet scheduled. She is in traction now.

So I've been in the hospital with her and her husband and daughter most all the day. As soon as we got out of the emergency area, my brother-in-law called their daughter, who came right up.

They have another daughter in Wisconsin and a son in Rogers, AR. They also have another son here in Coffeyville that they seldom see. My brother-in-law will contact him to tell him.

It never rains...it pours. She is in pretty good spirits though.

6 comments:

The Cunning Runt said...

I'm sorry to hear this, and for your sister's trial. If it helps, a couple of people I know had hip replacements recently (not the same, I know, as a traumatic break, but the "fix" is similar,) and after a substantial and sometimes discouraging period of rehab, they're both doing really well now.

Hang in there, and good thoughts go out to your sister.

Margie's Musings said...

Thank you so much for the encouraging report. Keep her in your prayers, please.

Balisha said...

Hi Margie,
So sorry to hear about your sister's fall.We have two aunts who had knee replacements recently. They were both 86 and are doing very well. I guess the secret is the therapy after the surgery. I would think it would be the same with a hip. I will keep her in my prayers.

Beth said...

Margie, I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's fall. I will certainly pray for her--that the surgery will go well and that she will heal quickly, with very little pain. Best wishes to you all.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks folks. We really appreciate your concern and prayers.

June Saville said...

It's nice when families come running to help Margie.
I had an ambulance in my driveway about six weeks ago after I woke up with chest pains. Very dramatic as I was by myself at the time. To hospital for tests and everything turned out fine. A virus I think (in the end). My family flocked and that was nice!