Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Real Quandary

I did some house cleaning this morning, read until I finished Bob's book, "The Appeal" and then worked a bit in the yard cleaning flower beds. Finally we went to the market and picked up some grocerys.

Afterward I went to the nursing home to visit my sister for an hour or so.

It's been nine weeks since she broke her hip and my niece, who goes in and sits with her mom every day for most of the day is wearing down. Today, as we stood outdoors after we left, she broke down and cried. It's been a terrible strain on her. I told her to stop going and let her mom depend on the buzzer to get help. But she can't bring herself to do that. She's such a goodhearted woman. I do not believe my brother-in-law is going to be able to handle my sister 24/7. He does not have a clue what he is in for. She is not always lucid and is still not up on her feet walking. We don't know why. The doctors tell us nothing. She had x-rays yesterday and she has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and hopefully they will learn something.

Why on earth has it taken nine weeks and she still isn't walking with her walker except when the physical therapist is there?

4 comments:

Mari Meehan said...

I understand there is a lot of pain with a broken hip. Could that be the reason she is reluctant to do for herself?

Margie's Musings said...

Perhaps...but why do the doctor's let her get away with that?

Sylvia K said...

Why don't you check in with Darlene and DarlenesHodgePodge, she broke her hip just before Christmas and she's already back home doing her thing. She's 84 and a widow. Her son did stay with her for a short time when she first came home and that was during Christmas.

Linda said...

Perhaps her dementia is part of the problem?