Thursday, October 8, 2009

Yesterday..Scattered Thoughts

Yesterday was a strange day. I went to Independence for my appointment, met Juanita for breakfast and gave her her birthday gift, came home and read for while and then worked on the ministry notebooks for the newer members of the Coffeyville Ministerial Alliance and got them up to date as well as possible. I put their checkbook into Quicken on my computer. That will help me keep track of their money.

In the afternoon, I made a bank deposit for them and stopped at Sonic for a Blast. It had been awhile since I had had a Blast. I wonder if it was worth the carbs and calories?

That evening I fixed dinner and we watched TV and read. There's not much on TV anymore since there are so many channels. There's a lot of advertising. I would guess the ad agencies have tried to minimize the effects of splintering on so many channels. I certainly would not buy TV advertising if I were a business...unless I had a local channel. We have none closer then 75 miles here. Radio is our best bet since it is local. Even then, there are five local radio stations. Which one would we buy?

Tomorrow is my class mini reunion at Lannings. I have to say I have never had a good meal there. Obviously someone else picked the place. We will then watch the homecoming game from the stadium third floor room and have refreshments there. I have to bake cookies...either today or in the morning.

Our son, Keith, called again. He is considering signing up to go to Afghanistan as an IT contractor. The money is great but what good is it if you get killed or maimed? I dread his decision. He has little or no retirement and he wants to go for three years to build himself a retirement fund. I fear for his limb and life. Also, he wants to help his dad and me with our income needs. He doesn't want me to have to go to work next year. We are that close to out of our retirement income. That's wonderful but I would rather he not risk his life in this war. It's his decision and his life but I gave him my point of view anyhow. I'd rather work ten years at Wal Mart then for him to take a risk like that. Of course, it's not all about me. It's about his retirement and that's probably 15 years away. He's 54.

No comments: