Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Busy Work on Monday

Keith and I stayed home in the morning on Monday and I wrote thank you notes all morning and got the bulletin finished for Sunday. About 11:00 we decided to drive over to Caney. The editor of the Montgomery County Chronicle had written an editorial about Bob's life in his paper and Keith and I decided to go to Caney and buy a paper. It was a great tribute to Bob. On the way home, Keith suggested we stop and eat at Pizza Hut. It had been months, perhaps years, since I had had pizza and so I took him up on it.It was very good.

Later we just messed around all afternoon. The claim form for the insurance finally came and I got that filled out along with one of the copies of the death certificate and sent it in. They say it will be five days after they receive it before I will get the check. Then I can pay the funeral home. That will be good.

I also received the social security death benefit of $255. It had been direct deposited in my checking account. Now I can get Bob's name off my checking account and change the beneficiary on my little IRA.

Later on that evening, we went out to John and Leslie's for cake and punch....left over from the celebration on Sunday. Leslie is going to take the remaining cake to work today.

Keith and I will go up after I get home from my sister's house and I have my board meeting for the Montgomery County Medical Clinic at 11:00. He will drop me off and go out to Four County and wait for Leslie to get off work for lunch. Then they will pick me up after my meeting at 12:00.

Then I will get the oil changed on my car. It is well past due. I need to stop at Wal Mart there and get some contact cleaner and dog food for Slinky too. Tomorrow we drive to Wichita to take Keith to catch his plane.

Then I will be alone again.

I had a huge negative surprise. I went online to pay one of the medical bills and discovered that Social Security had taken Bob's payment back and left me with $168.00 in the account. Luckily, I had a little savings so I transferred $600. over to the checking account. I should get my social security tomorrow with the raise of a difference between his and mine and my bills can be paid.

I will then transfer that money back into my money market account.

What a shock!! I wonder what widows do when they don't have a savings account?

4 comments:

clairz said...

Just stopping by to say Hi this morning, Margie. You are an inspiration, as always.

ChuckFu said...

Thank you, clairz. I appreciate that.

pat m said...

Widows who don't have kind children lose their homes...go on SSI...food stamps...senoir housing.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Pat. But I meant when Social Security suddenly takes back their husband's social security before giving the widow her new amount of social security.