Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Doctor's Appointment

Today is my doctor's appointment in Joplin. It's at 9:40. We will leave at 8:00 this morning. Leslie couldn't go so Bob is going with me.  Afterward we will eat at Olive Garden and walk the mall.  After we get home I may attend the PINCH meeting if I'm not too tired. It's at 5:30 this evening.

I slept well last night. I awoke at 3:00 and went to the bathroom and took my med for thyroid.  Then I went back to bed and back to sleep. I finally got up at my usual 5:00. I ate my last biscuit and had two cups of coffee. Same old stuff. :)

We leave in about 45 minutes so I'll get back to this later this afternoon.

More later....

My doctor was very happy about the outcome of my eyelid surgery. I don't have to go back.

Later Bob and I went to the mall and walked around then went back to Olive Garden and ate lunch. It was good...as usual.

When I got home and checked the mail, I had a bad surprise. We all had a letter from the property manager telling us a whole lot of new rules.  One of them was "NO PETS". I called the owner over this and bypassed the property manager altogether. I just told her I had no idea what I would do with Missy. I have had her11 years. I was given permission to have her by the previous owner.  She didn't make a mess and always used her litter box, which I kept cleaned out.

The manager also had said in the letter that we would be responsible to mow and trim every 12 days and also if we needed a plumber, we were expected to call one and pay for the repairs. There were a whole lot of other new regulations.

Of course we are already paying $25 more rent the new owner bought the property and we're going to have another $25 raise in January and we're already taking care of our own TV cost too. She gave up the business account. I just told told the new owner that her the rent raise and the TV cost amounted to almost $100 extra money each month out of our pockets and none of us had those kind of resources. We were all chipping away at our meager savings now.

I told her we kept her property clean and neat and she wouldn't be able to be guaranteed that from other new renters. I told her that Marilyn had had to buy a new supplement for her Medicare and give up her quilting and Jeannie's granddaughter paid a woman to clean her apartment every two weeks and she did that thoroughly.  I told her I took care of my apartment just as I had my own home.  I even created two flower beds that I cared for constantly.

Finally she told me that we here in the fourplex were all grandfathered in and not to worry about the regulations. They were aimed at the neighbors across the street who tried to move another couple in with them and had bought a puppy they had not had when they moved in.  They also do not mow.

She had checked around about the huge insurance premium bill and found a better and lower rate. So she had decided she was not going to raise the rent the second $25 after all.  I am hoping she stays with that decision. She is going to talk to the property manager about that.

Then she said she had heard Bob was going to move. Sycamore Landing, where he has applied called her to find out how well he paid his rent and if he kept the property clean. They were told he did well. She wondered if he was going to move.  I told her he was going through his savings too. He had less income then I do and his mother had lived into her 90's.  His rent at the Landing would be over $150 a month less then here at the fourplex. So he feels he must move to the cheaper lodgings.

I hope I have managed to convince her that we simply cannot handle more rent and we are doing the best we can to keep her property nice.  I don't have to decide what to do about Missy. I can keep her.

I told the other renters about my conversation with the owner.  Marilyn had stood and listened to my side of the conversation and I was glad. That way the owner could not say I said anything I did not. I had a witness to my end of the conversation.

Bob came over for TV and a cookie. I had him walk over to Braums and I bought us both an ice cream cone.  Later he went on home and I got ready for bed. We leave at 6:00 tomorrow for Branson.  This will be our last trip there.  Neither of us can afford to go anymore.

No comments: