Monday, May 16, 2022

Monday and a Trip to See Nancy

I slept restlessly last night but finally did get back to sleep and got some sleep. I was up about 5:00AM as usual and made the bed and got myself ready for the day. I have changed my day to visit Nancy to Monday so she could get her hair done on Tuesday afternoons. I am doing a little laundry this morning.

I will wait to change my bed until Wednesday so it will be fresh for Dean to use while he is here. Unless something unforeseen happens, he will be here on Wednesday and stay until Friday sometime. He said his son, Rod, had not been feeling well and that would be the only thing that would cancel his trip.  Dean also has a doctor's appointment tomorrow and he anticipates  nothing unforeseen but he does have heart problems...has several stints, so anything is possible. Like him, I never take anything for granted at our age. 

Dean is about three weeks younger then I am but he has health problems. He has had a harder time in life...that's for sure. His son, Rod, dove into the  shallow end of a swimming pool when he has 18 years old and broke his neck. He is paralyzed from the waist down and has been in a wheelchair ever since.  He did go on to college and got a law degree then decided he did not want to be one in the shape he is in and got a second degree in computer science and has a van with a lift and has his own business with regular customers. He is in his 50's now. He has a caregiver who lives in their basement apartment and helps with Rod's shower, dressing and anything else he needs. Dean used to do those things when he was younger but at our age it's good Rod has a caregiver.

He will be with Rod while Dean is visiting me. Dean goes to Texas every fall to visit his mother's relatives and he comes here to visit me once a year. Dean lost his wife several years ago. She had kidney disease and had had two different kidney transplants. So his and Rod's lives have not been easy. But they make the best of it. They have a regular group he and Rod play poker with, they go out to dinner with an older doctor friend Dean helps out..takes to the market and anything else he needs .as though he didn't have enough on his plate. I admire how he handles the difficulties in his life.I am quite sure I couldn't handle mine if it was like what he has been through.

The only health problem I have is my knees. They are not holding up all that well...but I somehow I manage.  At my age, I don't want surgery."

I have had my breakfast now and need to get that laundry in the dryer, check "the weather on the 8's and the cats. It's after 6:00AM now and they are probably out there.

So more later..

Hmmm, my power went off momentarily and everything went dark. Both computers were off momentarily too of course and it took a few moments for them to find the internet. I had to restart the dryer too. But everything seems to be working alright now. I have no idea what the problem was.

Both cats were out there and I fed them both and when they were finished I put the cat food back in the garage and covered it again.

I finally caught "the weather on the 8's". Today is forecast for 81 degrees and sunny, Tomorrow is to be 84 degrees and thunderstorms, Wednesday 88 degrees and partly cloudy, Thursday 89 degrees and partly cloudy, Friday 77 degrees and partly cloudy, Saturday 64 degrees and partly cloudy and Sunday 73 degrees and sunny. Quite a forecast!

More even later..

I've been watching the news and I have fed Scruff twice now. She gives up eating before she's full, I guess. Then she comes back again later. 

It's 9:15AM and I will leave for Bartlesville at 10:00AM to visit Nancy and take her to lunch. 

It was about 10:45AM when I got down to Nancy's apartment. We visited awhile and then I suggested we go to lunch about 11:15AM. We went to Eggbert's and ate a small salad and then we took a drive to spend sometime together. I called Anissa to see if I could get Nancy into see her and get her hair done. She is booked but suggested I take Nancy to Walmart and I did. She got her hair washed for the first time in weeks. It looked much better. Then we drove around Bartlesville for awhile to get her out of the apartment. After I took her back home I stayed for an hour or so and visited and then left.

I went out to Mr. Klean there and washed my car and cleaned it out on the inside too. I will be staying home tomorrow so hopefully it will stay clean for awhile.

Wednesday I get my hair done and hopefully Dean will still be able to come for his visit.

More even later...

I took the car out to go to get a flurry and when I got home and turned off the motor the burglar alarm went off and  I couldn't figure out what to do to get it off. I looked in the manual but there was nothing....at least nothing I could find  to tell me what to do to turn it off. I went up to the service station but no one was there. There was a gentleman riding his bike and he came back to help me. I evidently had accidentally hit the panic button and he knew to hit it again to turn it off. That worked! I don't know what I would have done if he hadn't come along to help me.

What a mess!

Both cats came for supper and I took food out to them.They are eating now while I take my bath.

It's after 7:00PM and I am going to take my bath then read until 9:00PM or so and go to bed.

Perhaps more later.....

It was 10:21PM when I finally went to bed...after I finished another book!

 

6 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Before my knees became impossibly painful,I used a prescription cream called Voltaren.
I still took my Tylenols. I found the Votaren would work ok from 4 to 6 hours. Until my knees got worse and it didn't. It was interesting seeing the xraysof my knees and how they changed over time. By the time I had knee replacements, the bones had deteriorated at the edge so they looked kind of like they had eyelet lace edges. Before my knees had their surgeries,night time was the worst. They would just come alive with pain when I was trying to sleep. Now I very rarely have pain in them.

pat m said...

I've known many who had surgery at your age...it adds admence quality to their lives.

Suemn said...

I just read in the AARP magazine today about caretakers. It is really amazing that some people are so dedicated to caring for others. I wish we had more people like them.

Suemn said...

I'm so glad that someone was able to tell you about the panic button. Those car alarms are pretty loud aren't they?

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

I once hit the emergency button in our car and wasn't aware how I even did it. I was on the way home from the local Dollar General, and it started in all of a sudden honking the horn and flashing the lights. I only had a few blocks to drive, but I pulled over for a minute to look at the car manual. Then I realized the car manual is to big to fit in the glove box and is in the trunk, so I decided to just drive the short distance home.

I felt like I was in a parade all by myself, plus I felt dumb that I couldn't find the off switch. Finally I pulled in the drive way and called my husband who was in the house sleeping to ask him if he knew where the button to turn the alarm off was. He said he didn't but came out in a minute or so. Meanwhile I was going berserk searching everywhere I could think of. My husband looked into the car and was looking for the button with me. In just a couple of seconds he said, "What do you think that big red triangle printed in the center of the dashboard is?" It was the size of a penny only triangle shape and not a raised button, just flat. I pushed it, and that was the emergency button turn off. I don't know how I didn't see it there. I guess because I was looking for an actual switch not just a printed red triangle, not labeled or anything.

Donna. W said...

My old Mama Kitty always eats some of her food and leaves; I bring it in, then maybe 30 minutes later she is back begging for more.