Friday, August 22, 2008

Our Daughter's New House


I went to Caney today to pick up my new contacts. On my way to Independence to attend a funeral, I stopped by our daughter's home to take some new photos of the progress. At least the contractor and his crew were out there this time. Sometimes they were able to work as far as the weather was concerned but they're off doing something else.

We have built four houses ourselves over the years and that has been the way of it every time but one time. That contractor stayed right on the job and got us in the house in record time. But, let's face it, most of them don't feel the need to stay with the job.

It will be interesting to see how this one works out.

Looking at it, I'll try to explain what you are seeing.

Number one is the south side of the house.That's the garage from the south.The next one straight on the east side at the great room.

Then that is the west side looking at where the front will be. The Next one is the north side where their bedroom will be. And last of all, is the front of the house slightly from one side.
At least I think I have it all straight. I'm sure my daughter or son-in-law will tell me if I got it wrong. The lower picture is the north side where their bedroom will be.

I know, I know, it's too early to tell much about it. I'll continue going out there every couple of weeks and taking pictures. You'll see, it will shape up. I try to tell her that it seems like it takes forever to build a house and it usually does take about six months. My experience with contractors is that they don't work every day they are able.

This is their first real house. They have lived in a double wide since the third year they were married and they've been married thirty
three years now. Her husband has just retired from teaching this
year. Now he is starting a fishing guide business and he is really a
fisherman. As a teacher, several years ago, John wanted to do something for all the "at risk" boys. He started a fishing club and got Shakespeare Fishing Rod Company to give them a deal on equipment. They put John's picture with his huge club on their web site. His was the largest club in school. Eventually he started a club for girls too and my daughter helped him with that. They would take those kids over to Roaring River for the weekend. It was a huge success.

I think he will miss it. I asked him one time if he ever got tired of it and he said "When I just begin to think I want to quit, a kid from several years ago writes me a letter and tells me how important it was to him." That's why I think he will miss it.

2 comments:

Judy said...

I am so happy for them that they are finally getting the build the house they want. I know you are thrilled for them. It looks like a very nice house and I am sure they will make it a very nice home.

Margie's Musings said...

I think so too. They are so excited!