THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!
I am sending this to virtually everybody on my e-mail list, and that includes conservatives, liberals, and everybody in between. Even though we disagree on a number of issues, I count all of you as friends. My friend and neighbor wants to promote a "Congressional Reform Act of 2010." It would contain eight provisions, all of which would probably be
strongly endorsed by those who drafted the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
I know that many of you will say "this is impossible." Let me remind
you, Congress has the lowest approval rating of any entity in Government. Now is the time when Americans will join together to reform Congress - the entity that represents us.
We need to get a Senator to introduce this bill in the US Senate and a Representative to introduce a similar bill in the US House. These people will become American heroes.
Congressional Reform Act of 2010
1. Term Limits.
12 years only, one of the possible options below.
A. Two, Six-year Senate terms
B. Six, Two-year House terms
C. One, Six-year Senate term and three, Two-Year House terms.
This applies to all Senate and Congressional Aides as well.
2. No Tenure / No Pension.
A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when he/she is out of office.
3. Congress (past, present, and future) participates in Social Security.
All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people.
4. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
5. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
6. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
7. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
8. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/11.
The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves.
9. Lobbying Congress will be illegal and, if committed by a former Senator or House Representative, it will be considered a felony.
Serving in Congress is an honor; not, a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, serving their term(s), then going home and back to work.