Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Wednesday and a Big Day in Coffeyville

I woke up at 3:30AM after I heard a loud noise right outside my bedroom window. At first I was going to take my flashlight and go out to investigate. The window was pitch black at 3:30AM except for an area about a foot square and that was light and there was a shadow that continued to drift across it. I opened the blinds to look but because it was so dark, I couldn't see a thing.  But there was a dark shadow that kept moving across the window. Finally I decided it would be best if I didn't go investigate it by myself. An 84 year old woman would be unable to even defend herself if there was someone there..

A couple of months ago, someone had tried to break into the apartment next to mine in this duplex. Whoever it was took the screen off the large window in their second bedroom and threw it up on the roof. Then they tried to force open their door and even bent the hinges in the attempt. There was also blood on my door. The kids that live next door were gone for the weekend. When they got home they discovered the damage and called the police..After I saw the blood on my door I called them too. I asked them to come by our duplex off and on all evening with their lights flashing. I hoped to have the police intimidate the prowler. They did patrol our neighborhood that time so I called the police again to come out and investigate my noise and the dark movement on my window. The officer did that but he found nothing. My back yard, and that of my neighbor, are fenced in with privacy fences with a gate.

I texted Bob this morning after I got up and decided to go on over to Coffeyville for breakfast with him since it didn't snow last night. We had breakfast and then I went by the beauty shop and had my hair done. I was telling Neet there about my experience since she too lives in Caney on State street right across from the library. She said there was quite a bit of that sort of behavior in Caney and in fact, they had installed an security alarm system at their home. 

Then I went on to Auto Zone and bought a new battery...$139,00 worth. What we didn't know is that on my car, if you install a new battery, you have to have a code to reset in the radio or you don't have a radio. Auto Zone tried to discover the code online but wasn't able to do it. I went out to Gary's Repair to see if Brandon could do it but he said I would have to get it from the Honda Agency. He said I might have to go to Bartlesville and pay a service charge to get that done unless I just happened to get a sympathetic service person on the phone. It was worth a try and so I called them. The young man in the service department told me where to find the code and walked me through the process of resetting the radio code.

I was at the library at that point so I went on in and found the book I had been reading from the Caney library and finished reading it in their reading area before I went on to the game day at the senior center.


After game day, I came on home to Caney. It was beginning to snow a little by then.

It was already an eventful day.

I haven't been able to catch Pablo, my neighbor,  to ask him to put those blocks under the headboard of my bed.  I certainly can't lift it.  No big rush though. I haven't had any more problems with acid reflux....if that's what it was.

I fed the cats when they came back for supper. I think there were four of them this time.....two gray ones and two yellow ones.. 

I stayed up until 8:45PN or so but finally went on to bed. 

More later...

2 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

That was so scary to read about. Especially where you could see shadowy movement out there. I wonder what the loud noise was. Is there any way that some bright motion sensitive lighting could be installed high out of reach to light the backyard area? I used to want a privacy fence around our back yard, but then I read somewhere that it also gives burglars privacy from anyone else seeing what they are doing.

I used to feel safe with my little Fuzzy Pomeranian motion detector alert, day or night he would let me know if anything strange was going on outside. Now, at 16 years old he is totally deaf, and we have to touch him to get him to notice us, unless he is awake and looking our way.

Margie's Musings said...

Hi Susie. I never did figure out what the noise was or even what the shadowy figure was. But it didn't happen again last night. I appreciated the police checking it out.