Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Scrapbooking for Fun

My one hobby is scrap booking. I have been scrap booking for eight years. I have made one a year for Bob and myself and also made one Heritage album for each of our three grown children. I have also made an Iraq deployment album for our eldest son, Keith, who was deployed with the National Guard at the age of 50 to Iraq three years ago. He suffers from post traumatic syndrome since.

I have made a Bosnia album for our younger son, Scott, who was deployed there as a peace keeper before the present warmonger president and his administration were in office. He is career Army. Then I made him an Iraq album for each of his three deployments there since 2001. The boys e-mailed me home their pictures and I saved them on my hard drive and had them printed off for their scrapbooks. That has been one of the most appreciated Christmas gifts I have ever given them.

Now I am in the process of writing our family's story for a CD in the back of each of their Heritage albums.

We will go to the market in a little while and buy a few groceries. After we put those away, we will drive over to Sedan, Kansas to take our daughter to lunch. She and her husband are leaving tomorrow for their vacation in Colorado.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my eye doctor over to Caney, Kansas. We will deliver our school supplies over there at the elementary school afterward. Our congregation bought school supplies for the low income children at that school for one of our service projects.

Friday, I have a doctor's appointment in Bartlesville, Oklahoma. Last Friday, my left foot swelled on top in the night and got very sore. I took Naproxen Sodium and the pain went away and I went back to sleep but the swelling has continued so I will go try to find out what is causing it. I am hoping it will go away before then.

6 comments:

Judy said...

I am sure your sons have really appreciated all the work you have done on these albums. What a wonderful gift you have given your children. I hope your foot is o.k. and it is not anything to worry about. I will be thinking of you.

Kelly said...

What wonderful gifts and life-long treasures you are making for your family! You must be very talented. You'll have to take some pictures and show us some of your "works of art"!

Hope your foot is ok. Bartlesville is a lovely town and you are right, you living in Kansas, you are not too far from Amarillo and the Cadillac Ranch! It really was worth the history and fun of then entire experience to visit it and other sites on Route 66!

Hope everything is ok with your foot! We'll be thinking of you!

Sansego said...

Scrapbooks are time consuming, but relaxing. I wanted to do one on every major vacation but after putting together one on my 1994 trip to South Africa and then my awesome 200-page Washington Seminar program scrapbook, I decided against it. Too much work. So, I plan only to do one for my college years and a photo-biography scrapbook (on me).

They do make great gifts. I wish someone close to me would do something like that! One of my best friends gave me a DVD he made of his time in Iraq that remains as one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. He's a big-time scrapbooker as well and when he returned from Iraq, he was surprised to receive a special scrapbook of his time in Iraq from his girlfriend's (now wife) mother. When he showed me the scrapbook back in 2005, I told him, "that's a serious sign that they want you as a son-in-law!" It must've worked! His wife's brother had complained to their mom: "you never made me a scrapbook!"

Margie's Musings said...

My kids have all treasured their scrapbooks. I am thinking of doing one for my daughter and son-in-law on the progress of the building of their new home. We are going out there tomorrow afternoon so i can take some pictures of the progress. Darn it! I forget my camera today. They are beginning to get their walls up.

Gretchen said...

I LOVE scrapbooking! I even carry a small travel 6x6 book with everywhere we go. :)

Margie's Musings said...

Great idea, Gretchen.