Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lunch Anyone?

A friend of ours from Independence, Kansas, called this morning and asked us to lunch. He came down and we went to the Chinese Buffet. It was very good plus...he picked up the tab. We had a nice visit. It had been awhile. We then took a tour of the flood area. FEMA has bought out several hundred homes that flooded last year and the refinery bought out over 300 too. These were the ones that were victim to the oil spill that happened at the same time as the flood. So the east side of our community is almost gone. We are in dire need of housing here. 2500 people drive in to the community to work each day.

My suggestion would be that the community buy up several dozen houses that are in need of repair and spend some money working them over for sale. I think it would accomplish two things. First, it would clean up houses in need of repair and second, it would provide housing for people who work here.

I want to do a little touch up painting this afternoon myself. The bathroom needs a little help and the inside of the back door needs some paint too.

3 comments:

Sylvia K said...

It's always nice be able to visit with old friends. I went back to my Tai Chi class this morning and it was fun to see those I hadn't seen in a couple of months. That sounds like a wonderful idea you have for helping people and rebuilding the community. I hope you can get someone to listen. Enjoy the fix-up!

Sylvia K said...

I just got your comment regarding the poll facts about Palin's readiness -- what kind of a joke are they pulling here? I'm sorry, I thought it was PBS and therefore reliable. I'm pulling it off my blog! Thanks for the heads up!

Margie's Musings said...

We enjoyed it.

I write letters to the editor with my suggestions and sometimes I can make an impact.