Thursday, October 9, 2008

Another New Deal

How about "health security"--free health care for all, administered by the government, paid for from our Treasury, bypassing the insurance companies and the other privateers of the health industry. All that will take more than $700 billion. But the money is there: in the $600 billion for the military budget, once we decide we will not be a war making nation anymore, and in the bloated bank accounts of the super rich, once we bring them down to ordinary-rich size by taxing vigorously their income and their wealth. Other Nations do it. In fact, all other first world nations have free health care for their citizens. All but us.

As far as big government helping with these huge projects is concerned...government has helped out big business for years. Thank of the Saving and Loan bailout. Now think of Chrysler's huge bailout. Those are just two of dozens and dozens that we taxpayers have had to bail out over the years. If you want more examples, I can give them. Let's face a historical truth: we have never had a free market. We have always had government intervention in the economy, and indeed that intervention has been welcomed by the captains of finance and industry.

What we need now is another New Deal jobs program to get our roads, bridges and infrastructure back in first rate condition again. Now that jobs are dropping like flies, why not start up another WPA and CCC and let those who want to work go back to work. Then they can make their mortgage payments.

12 comments:

Sylvia K said...

You are absolutely right! We're on the edge, if not already in, another enormous depression and we could look to 1932 for a lesson in helping our country in more ways than one, in helping our people in more ways than one. We're supposedly the most powerful country -- or was, and as you say, the only major country with no universal health care. So, war is a better way to spend money? that and bailing out fat cats? When does it stop?

Margie's Musings said...

It should stop with us telling our legislators to stop or we vote them out of office. I intend to vote against every incumbent myself and so will Bob.

That should give them a message.

Mari Meehan said...

Obama talked about such programs at length during the primaries. I hope it is still a part of his agenda.

Margie's Musings said...

I missed that. I certainly hope you're right. We simply must keep people working and drawing a paycheck.

Judy said...

I, too, am not voting for those people that are up for re- election and voted for this bailout. I can remember my father talking about the WPA and how he thought it was a great program. Good idea Margie.

Margie's Musings said...

When the depression hit, my grandfather, who had a wife and four children to feed, lost his job. He did everything possible...mowed lawns and shoveled snow. My grandmother did housework, sewing and laundry for the wealthy. They managed to keep body and soul together but just barely. My Aunt Ruth told me about their meals of bread and catsup. My mother got married and that helped some. Then my grandfather went to work for WPA and later the CCC. When the depression was over, he finally found another job.

I always remember those stories.

Linda said...

Margie, this is a good post. One of the things that made me begin to think seriously about Obama was his talk about service programs for Americans. I'm all for it.

Margie's Musings said...

Thank you, Linda. We have to try to come up with some workable ideas to salvage the country's economy.

Beth said...

Great post, Margie. I agree, and I do hope that Obama carries through on some of his ideas for putting Americans to work. I must say, I'm not too impressed with Obama's health insurance plan--it only guarantees insurance for children (Clinton had the better health insurance plan). But, for sure, it will be better than what we have now. But I think we need a more radical health insurance plan than he offers.

Beth said...

And, by the way, thanks so much for your kind comments and information about your church on my post yesterday. I wish there was a Community of Christ church near me--I liked what I saw on their website.

clairz said...

Wonderful, thoughtful post. This is such a hard time for our country and ironically, we have a leadership void that won't be filled until we get our new President.

We need a comprehensive and inspiring New Deal, and soon.

Margie's Musings said...

I am so sorry we did not have a church nearby, brbcg. I wish we did. You would love our people.

Look around on that web site. It's an amazing group.