Monday, October 27, 2008

A Scary Prospect

This very disturbing story is breaking this afternoon:

A plot by two Neo-Nazi skinheads to assassinate Barack Obama and kill dozens of other African Americans has been foiled, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms said Monday.

Daniel Cowart, 20, of Bells, Tenn., and Paul Schlesselman, 18, of West Helena, Ark., were charged Friday with making threats against a presidential candidate, illegal possession of a sawed-off shotgun and conspiracy to rob a gun store.

Jim Cavanaugh, special agent in charge of the Nashville ATF field office, said the two men sought to go on a national killing spree that included an unnamed African-American school, with Obama as their final target.

The two planned to shoot 88 black people and decapitate another 14, he added. The numbers 88 and 14 are symbolic in the white supremacist community.

They said that would be their last, final act — that they would attempt to kill Sen. Obama,” Cavanaugh said. “They didn’t believe they would be able to do it, but that they would get killed trying.”

The world is full of nuts. If Obama is elected and I believe he will be unless the Bradley Effect occurs, his life will be constantly in danger....even more then the usual president because our society is so racist.

What a tragedy!When will Americans finally learn to live with one another in peace? Why do we have so many drive-by shootings and so much violence in this country? There are more inmates in American prisons then there are populations in some countries.

And, no, even in this enlightened age, we still cannot guarantee a fair trial for African Americans. Just look at the list of people cleared by the Innocence Project. African Americans predominate.

9 comments:

Sansego said...

The Bradley Effect is a false media hype that has no real meaning in 2008. I wrote a post about it because I was tired of hearing the media harp on it. America of 2008 is a lot different than America in 1982. This was before Oprah, Cosby, Michael Jackson, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Halle Berry, and Will Smith all found huge success and a large fan base of middle American white folks. The only reason the media keeps talking about it is because if the Republicans stole the election, that's the alibi that they will use: "the Bradley Effect strikes again!" Which will be a lie. If Republicans steal this election, I'm done with civil obedience. It'll be time for civil unrest until Republicans back down. Republicans are coward to their core, so the sight of an America that does not allow them to steal yet another election will scare them into backing down.

As for neo-Nazis...it is the price we'll have to pay living in an America with a black president. Domestic terrorist groups will surge as they did under Clinton. Republicans are partially to blame because they fan the flames of bigotry, racism, religious extremism, gun fanaticism, and accusing Democrats of "communism" (as Palin is now doing).

It's time Americans stop their racist fear of "Islamic terrorists" and realize that the greatest danger to our Democracy are not some "darker other" but the crazy, fringe groups within. Its the rightwing, racist, borderline psychotic white supremacists that scare me more than any Muslim ever could.

When Obama is president, we'll have to make sure we support the ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center in their work monitoring and taking to trial right wing extremists and domestic terrorist groups who are anti-government and xenophobic.

Margie's Musings said...

I don't know, Nicholas. There are an awful lot of racists in the south even yet.

Judy said...

Yes, there are racists in the south now. Living in Kentucky I see it all the time. Several people have told me lately that they would not vote for Obama because he is black. Just makes me so mad I want to move away from this place but I guess it is everywhere and we don't realize it. Like you say, Margie. This world is full of nuts. It really blows my mind when I think about how many crazy people are out there.

Margie's Musings said...

I got a huge bang out of my friend, Juanita who has always been an unabashed racist. She has now decided she will vote for Obama.

Linda said...

I submit that one reason this race was close before the economic fall out was the race issue, Americans voting for McCain because they would not vote for a black. Obama's had a steep hill to climb.

Clara....in TN said...

And he has climbed it well. Some racist out there will probably kill him. It's terrible we live in a country that the color of your skin makes a difference.

Margie's Musings said...

That's so true, Clara. It is a tragedy. Maybe he'll be well protected though. We can always hope. The secret service was doubled for him, I read.

Beth said...

I worry a lot about the safety of Obama and his family. In fact, I pray every day that God will protect them.

As a proud Southerner, though, I would like to defend my region. Yes, there are many racists here, on both sides, and I find them appalling. But I think racists are everywhere. Perhaps racism is simply more subtle in other places. When I visited my cousin in the Midwest (central Illinois), I heard the N-word used far more frequently than I ever heard it here in North Carolina.

TropiGal said...

I have so much feared, since the outset, not only for the safety of Senator Obama for that of his two adorable little girls. Thank goodness the security people are on the watch.