Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A New and Different Day

I woke this morning with the realization that Bob is gone. He has been gone from time to time as he has deployed to various disasters for four weeks at a time over these past fifteen years, but he was always coming home again. So I simply enjoyed my solitude and the fact that I didn't have to cook if I didn't want to cook. The house stayed clean and neat and I had no one to pick up after except myself. This is different. Now he is gone for good.

Under the circumstances, with all the pain and discomfort, I am glad he is at rest. It was one horrendous week and two days, and if I hadn't had my kids here, I don't know if I could have managed it by myself. I lost seven pounds in that one expanded week.

Keith went home to Phoenix to an empty house. I have Scott within a three and a half hour drive and Leslie forty minutes away. Leslie has John and Scott has Becky, but Keith has no one with whom to share his grief. He has his church support group and his councilor, but there's nothing like family at a time like this. I hope he continues to attend his church regularly as he has in the past.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margie, Thank God for our children and family at times like this. I knew that week was awful for you from the things you said on the post. I am so glad he is out of his misery and in a better place. My thoughts and prayers are with you my friend. Love and hugs, Judy

clairz said...

You are an amazing person. Even at this point, your thoughts are for others. That's so "Margie."

Stay well and take care of yourself. Know that we are sending you warm hugs, just as Judy said.

ChuckFu said...

My mom’s comments touched me, I have the most wonderful parents, and both of my parents are like this unselfish, always thinking of others an inspiration.

Balisha said...

Margie, I agree with Judy...family is so important during times like these. Lean on them and let them help you. What a difficult time it was...you all must be exhausted. It's time to rest. Your friend, Balisha

Sylvia K said...

I know what an awful week this has been for you and your family, but thank God that you had each other. Bob is in a better place and out of his misery and that can only be a relief for you all, in spite of the pain that accompanies such a loss. Your strength is amazing and admirable and I wish only good things for you now. Take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

Sylvia

Unknown said...

Margie: My heart goes out to you and your family for what you've all been through this past week. Your strength and faithfulness have been an example and a foundation for your family and congregation. As others have said, now is the time for you to lean on them and find some rest. There is a wonderful Jewish expression that I think fits so well right now: May his memory be for a blessing.