Thursday, November 11, 2010

Vinita and Lunch

I will be driving to Vinita this morning to have lunch with an old friend who lost her husband just a couple of months after I lost Bob. It's only about 50 miles. We had known them since our kids were very young. Her husband, another Bob, went camping with us before he met and married her. Scott was 2 that year. So we had known him about 48 years. He was a cousin of some great friends of ours, the Holts. The five of us took many camping trips with our collective six children. We had a pop up camper for the adults and the children slept in a tent next to the camper. We had some great times together when we were young.

Anyhow, they came to Bob's Celebration of Life service and he urged our older son, Keith, to participate in his dad's Celebration of Life. Keith didn't think he could do it.

It's raining and I never like driving in the rain but I will not leave until it gets light anyhow. The rest of the day, when I get home, I will go see my sister out at Windsor. It has been since Tuesday since I've been to see her.

I will take my camera and take some photos and perhaps share them here. I have a couple of photos that I took out of my scrapbook that I will give to Myra if she wants them. One was taken at Mission Center conference several years ago and one was taken at our church camp at "reunion". That's what our church calls family camp, where we gather for a week of reunions and preaching and class work. It's always great fun! We have two every summer. One is for families with children and one is mostly slanted for adults although children are welcome too.

This is Veteran's Day and I can certainly celebrate it. Although my dad was 4F during the second world war, my uncle Leon spent the war in Germany as an intelligence officer. He was fluent in German.

Bob also served during the Korean conflict. Both my sons have served. Keith went into the army straight out of high school. He is still in the Air Force reserves. He was in the army national guard but he was activated and sent to Iraq earlier this decade so he transferred when he got home. Scott has served several tours both in Iraq and Afghanistan. He is regular army. So, yes, I can celebrate that so far at least I have not lost family in these conflicts and honor those who did lose loved ones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Margie, Glad you are able to receive calls from your son. I know that is a great relief to you. Hope you had fun with your friend and enjoyed your lunch together. I have been very lazy today. Just did not do much of anything. I am usually pretty busy. I think I just needed a day of rest. lol.

Margie's Musings said...

Sometimes that is what we need most, Judy.

Grammy said...

Dear Margie,
I had not realized we had so much in common...that you had lost your husband recently as well...I know how difficult it is to fill the days with keeping busy, but also to have private time when you just do little of nothing. This afternoon, I lay down and just rested, watching a little television, and napped inconsistently. I felt quite rested when I got up, and was able to then go into the kitchen, have some cereal for supper, finish filing papers that needed filing, and played some Farmville on facebook. I know that the game is a big waste of time, but it connects me with other people and provides pleasure for me. I'm glad you can keep in touch with your family members. That is so very important. Thinking of you...Ruby

Margie's Musings said...

Thank you, Ruby. Yes, I lost my Bob in May.