Sunday, January 22, 2012

Warm Sunday

Slinky slept in last night and didn't wake me until 4:00 this morning. When I went to let him out to pee, I noticed it was 49 degrees. What a winter! I'm not complaining. I do not like winter. He will be able to be outside when I go to church this morning and it won't be cold for him either.

We are having an ordination this morning. Our young doctor, Melissa, is being ordained a priest in our church. She has finished all her Temple School courses in preparation. She was formerly a deacon. Being a priest is more then just preaching and presiding, it is also home ministry. I hope she will be able to work that ministry into her busy schedule. It is a major part of her responsibiities as priest. In our church, we have deacons, teachers (councelors), priests and elders. Each have specific duties. I am hoping we can mentor our three younger priesthood members into more responsibiity so eventually they can take over more of the leadership of the congregation. I have been pastor for years and am really too old to continue to be re-elected. We elect the pastor from among the elders each year. We have several elders but they are already heavily burdened with responsibility. Sue also has diabetes. Karan does not want the responsibility, Leslie is our CFO, another awesome responsibility. And John has too many health problems.

So I am hopeful that Johnna, Melissa and Leslie can soon take over. Johnna might take CFO and that would free Leslie up to be pastor. She has been pastor before but it was awhile ago and she was not CFO at that time.

I would continue to help all I can perhaps continuing the newsletters I send out each Sunday afternoon. I could also continue to participate in Ministerial Alliance as our congregation's representative. I would even be willing to co-pastor. It's a thought.

No comments: