Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Another Dry Wednesday and Politics

There isn't any sign of rain before the weekend even with a developing hurricane in the gulf. We desperately need rain. It has cooled down to the 90's but with no moisture in sight it's still almost unbearable.

I started a mailing of jury questionnaires at work yesterday and will continue it this afternoon. I will also have filing and scanning.

I am planning to have the remaining roast and gravy over rice for dinner this noon. We will have salad and the leftover veggies. I will have to think about a light dessert. And I need to make cookies. I need oatmeal and raisins to do that.

This evening I have PINCH meeting at 5:30. I hope I don't forget it.

On the political front with the abortion discussion there is this:

This crowd can't handle the basic science, but some of the best estimates are that two thirds of "conceptions" (where a sperm fertilizes an egg) either never naturally implant or spontaneously abort in very early stages, mostly due to genetic abnormalities. Of the eggs that do implant, somewhere around 30% spontaneously abort.

So if you are a believer that "life begins at conception," you need to come up with a theological explanation for this statistic.

Then there are identical twins, where the egg splits after fertilization. Where did the second "soul" come from, and when are there "two souls"? Twinning may also be much more frequent that once thought, with one of most twin pairs dying early, and sometimes the one twin is absorbed back into the other, creating a "chimera" who has the DNA of two different people intermixed. How many souls here?

And on the other end of life, we know that tumors, strokes, injury, and Alzheimers can cause significant parts of the "person" to disappear before physical death.

To this crowd, many forms of basic birth control, which interfere with implantation, not conception, become criminal acts.

Scary stuff. Ignorance reigns.

4 comments:

ChuckFu said...

yYou know mom, I don't need Science or Theology to explain anything to me, All I have to believe is that there is a God of the Bible, I believe without seeing him, I hear his voice now that I listen. Faith is the belief in something in this case GOD, that is unseen, I think Science and trying to analyze God to much, and analyzing the bible to much, destroys that faith, where we begin to be too smart for our own pants and good. I know you and I believe very differently and that’s ok, I will never convince you and the other way around. Love you, Keith

Margie's Musings said...

Keith, I believe in God but I also appreciate science and Bible historians and their findings.

The God of the Bible is found in the experiences of those that wrote about their experiences.

We each have our experiences of God.

Faith is not belief. Faith is trust.

ChuckFu said...

love you mom, see you again next year maybe sooner who knows

Margie's Musings said...

Love you too, Keith. That would be great!