Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Hump Day Again

I'm always glad to see Wednesday come. That means I have just Wednesday and Thursday before my long weekend. This will be a particularly long weekend because of the Labor Day holiday. Bob and I plan to go to Joplin this Labor Day and eat out and go out to the mall and walk around. It's something to get out of town and see some different places.

Yesterday I didn't have a lot to do. I was pretty much out of work to do by 4:00 and had to just hunt work after that.

I picked up my car at 5:00 and paid the bill. It was just $65. Brandon said it was a good thing that I saved my receipt from 2007 when they replaced that starter initially. I usually don't save receipts but I have saved everything I've had done to that car. Now I need to replace the timing belt. I replaced it at 90,000 miles a few years back. Now that it has 161,000 miles on it, it's past time for another new one. They are supposed to be replaced every 60,000 miles but since it costs $250, I have hesitated getting it done. But if it breaks, in a Honda, it will destroy the motor. That's what Brandon told me yesterday. He said if it were a Toyota, it would do no damage. I will get that scheduled this next week after the holiday.

I watched some of the Republican Convention last night. I enjoyed Mrs. Romney's speech about her husband and also some of Chris Christy's too. I also watched Mia Love's speech. As she spoke of getting ahead on our own without government assistance, I wondered how many in the audience had attended college on the GI Bill. I wondered how many of those white haired delegates depended on Social Security and Medicare.

I also thought the blame game should have been over. For example, the state of the economy is a shared responsibility. It was lack of regulation that caused the crisis to begin with. It would be ideal if we could depend on big business to do the right thing without regulation, but let's face it, capitalism is greed driven. Big business will do whatever they can get away with to make big profits....sending jobs overseas where they can get very cheap labor, credit default swaps....anything to make a profit without regulations.

All of that was caused by the Bush administration and their lack of regulation and even the regulators that remained looked the other way while big business and big banks actually broke the law to make huge profits that put our very country's economy at risk. Two unfunded wars and an unfunded prescription drug program just compounded the problem.

President Obama's response was the same as Bush's. Bail them out instead of letting them fail. The answer now should be to break them up so it won't happen again. No one business should get so large that they can endanger our very economy. And all that money should be repaid as a loan. No one gives us, as individuals, a free bailout if we get in over our heads.

More later....

No comments: