Saturday, August 18, 2012

No Rain Yet

The drought continues. It is so dry that everything is either dormant or dying. I have yet to receive my water bill and I have no idea what all that watering last month will cost me. That was nearly a month ago and I simply could not afford to keep it up with my 16 hours a week work. I had to pay for my lawn mower repair and service out of my savings. But 16 hours is just enough with all I have going in my life. It is barely enough to get by on financially though.

Today I will meet Bob for breakfast in a couple of hours. Right now I am drinking some leftover coffee from yesterday. I think we are both saving money by cooking instead of buying TV dinners and eating out and I know it's got to be healthier. After awhile I will be able to tell for sure. I am going to use my debit card for all grocery purchases so I can tell after a full month if we are saving money this way.

The microwave oven is still acting up. I may have to break down and call the repair man over it. I am just nursing it along. The switch is going out on it. Sometimes it simply doesn't cook and sometimes the blower comes on without cooking. It depends on how I press the switch. The last time I had it repaired it cost $169. It wasn't very old when that happened. Bob was still here and he wrote the check for it. We bought it new in 2003 so it's nine years old. It's something all the time. But that's upkeep, I guess.

I sent a pair of shoes back to QVC and I received my refund this morning. They are good about taking things back. Those shoes killed my feet and I gave them to Leslie and they hurt hers too. So I got permission to return them. They even paid for the return.

I will meet Melissa at lunch in Dearing at the King restaurant. Karen asked me a week or so ago if I would direct next year's reunion (church camp). I told her I would think about it and ask Melissa to co-direct with me. I have already asked Leslie if she would be the financial officer for it if we decide to do it. She said she would. Maybe that will encourage Melissa. I need to give my answer to Karen soon so she can find someone else if we can't do it.

I turned my mattress this morning when I changed my bed. I had no idea if I could do that myself without help but I managed. It is beginning to show a depression where I sleep. Now I will sleep on the other side a while.

4 comments:

Balisha said...

Margie...Microwaves have come way down in price. If it is over your stove...you could just not use it and buy a microwave for your counter top. Some of them don't even cost as much as you paid for repairs. This is just a suggestion.
Balisha

Margie's Musings said...

That's a good idea Balisha but there simply isn't any free counter top in my small kitchen...which is why we put it over the stove to begin with.

Balisha said...

How about a cart or shelf to sit next to table or counter?

Margie's Musings said...

I do have a cart that is not used for anything important. I might be able to use that.