Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Sleepless in Coffeyville

It's 3:45 AM now and I have been awake since 2:00 AM. I ran system restore on the desktop computer yesterday afternoon and it finished initializing and then slowed way down to restore the registry. It never finished. It's still blinking away in there. Luckily I still  have the internet and this old laptop. That desktop is only a couple of years old. My son, Keith, gave it to me. Outlook data files went away last Thursday and I have been trying to restore that computer to the February 27th stage ever since. I tried five times on Friday and it kept running into an unexplained error and reverting back to it's broken state. When I started to try it again yesterday afternoon I thought it might make it. After it finished initializing it went on to start restoring the registry files.  Computers! I don't know whether it will ever finish or not but there's no turning back when you run system restore.

I will have my hair done later this morning and then find out if Leslie can have lunch. If not, I will come back home and cook.

I have no other plans for the day. I would rake and bag those leaves but it's supposed to be windy and if I get out in the wind to work, I will have problems with my sinus.

More later....

I went back to bed after 4:00 and slept for another two hours.  I feel pretty good now. I looked in the den after I got up and system restore is still barely perking along.  I wonder if it will ever finish.  Until it does, I am without a printer now.

More even later...

My son, Keith, the IT called later in the morning and said to just shut it down. He said if it were going to finish it would have finished by now. He said I didn't have a computer then anyhow so I may as well see if it would come back up. So, I shut it down. I rebooted it and it came back up. It never finished restoring but it didn't change a thing. I still didn't have the mail program.  I left then so I wouldn't be late for my hair appointment.

After that, I met Leslie for lunch. Then she gave me the money for my cover for my old Kindle. Amazon had sold it for me and refunded her the money. I came back home and went out to Wal Mart and bought the cheapest printer I could buy and a USB cord and installed the printer with the laptop in the dining room so I could print from the laptop.

Later Bob came over and told me about his day. After he ate at Sirloin Stockade, he went out to the cemetery to see Phyllis' grave.  It had been awhile since he was out there.

Later he came back over and we watched a couple of episodes of The Big Bang Theory and some episodes of the Johnny Carson Tonight show on TCM.  He went home about 8:30 and I  took my bath and put my pjs on and came in here to work on finishing my blog. We had our usual small glass of wine and some of that dessert I served last Sunday evening. In a little while I am going to bed. I see Missy is already in there in bed.  I will have to move her over.

It's been a pretty big day so I guess I'll go to bed.

Goodnight everyone.


3 comments:

Balisha said...

Hello from Sleepless in Byron. I just got up.....knowing that it is too late for sleep now. I don't know why I couldn't sleep....I usually sleep so well. Oh, well....I can cat nap later on.
Have a nice day today....Balisha

marlu said...

You sure know more about computers than I do. I have to depend on our son in Oregon. He signs on and helps me (does) whatever needs to be done to straighten the machine out!

Margie's Musings said...

Well, I finally just turned it off and I'm back online from here now. For some strange reason, it came back up even though we're not supposed to turn it off during system restore