Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thursday Long Day

Today is my last long day this week. I am so glad. I don't know why this job bothers me so much. I didn't sleep well at all last night for concern over it.  It's dealing with the cash register that troubles me. Last Wednesday a week ago,  I think it was, they had an apparent $54 shortage. I split that shift with another person who is a regular volunteer.  Wendy thinks it was just an over charge mistake. I don't think the other woman would take money. She has volunteered for five years. Wendy said she didn't think either of us would have taken money.

I have had some problems learning their kind of complicated register so I imagine it was me that made the mistake. What really bothers me is Wendy wants me to "X" out on the register when I have one of my short days so they can see what sort of morning I've had.  I accidentally "z'd"  out Tuesday instead which is what we do at the "end" of the day.  The letters are unreadable on the register and you have to just "feel" where the "x" is located. I evidently missed it.  What a mess!

On top of everything else, Aime says I am not to work alone and am to have supervision in case something unforeseen happens to me....a fall or a stroke or something. They don't have enough volunteers at the museum and if Wendy wants to have a life, she has to leave me alone.  That means, if I am busy, which I have been, I can't go back to the storage room to eat lunch or even drink water. The problem with that is, if I have to go to the bathroom, I would have to leave the cash register vulnerable. We usually have people in the museum at lunch time. So I have just not drunk any water all day. I cannot  leave the cash register to go down the hall to the restroom.

What a mess!

Bob and I are going to eat at Sirloin Stockade tonight and have our pork chops tomorrow noon when I don't have to work.  I will probably be very tired tonight after 6 1/2 hours basically on my feet.

Unfortunately there aren't any more positions available for this program in Coffeyville.  So I am stuck if I want/need to work.

More later this evening....

Wendy found the key to the cash register today and tried it to be sure it worked.  It did. She said if I needed to step out, I could lock the cash register and go.

Bob and I went to Sirloin Stockade for dinner this evening. We may do this every Monday and Thursday since those are my "long" days at work. I would then cook on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday when I don't work last or not at all.

Bob will work at the Interstate Fair and Rodeo this evening from 7:00 until 11:00 so I will be alone this evening.

3 comments:

marlu said...

This is so easy to say but isn't there a law that an employee must have a break within a certain time frame? Hope they can work something out for you...

Balisha said...

Nnot healthy or safe for you to go without a bathroom break or a drink of water. At our age we can get dehydrated at the drop of a hat.

Margie's Musings said...

That's true. It's Aime's job to let Wendy know the rules. Wendy worked with me this morning. She left at 1:00 and I worked alone all afternoon but had steady business and was not swamped.

Wendy came back at 3:30 to let me go home thirty minutes early at 3:45. I would have been thirty minutes long after being paid for the job fair yesterday.