Friday, September 29, 2017

Friday and No Meal Out

I slept very well last night.

Today I will pick up Bob A. for exercise class. We take turns driving. He wants to eat at El Pueblito for lunch. So we will probably do that. I have half of the hamburger pie but we can have that later.

I am still working on the book, "Long Time Passing", on the Vietnam War. It has 713 pages so it may be awhile before I get it finished.  I am on page 203. I read it years ago but have forgotten how long ago. It's out of print now. One thing I learned from both the book and the film is that student deferments allowed many to avoid the war. Colleges were absolutely full of deferred men. Most of the fighting was done by patriotic men and women, minorities and the poor, who couldn't avoid being drafted. Some went to Canada to avoid serving.

It's too bad Bush didn't read the book. He sent our men right into another war in another country...a country that wasn't even involved in our 9/11 tragedy. The hijackers in the September 11 attacks were 19 men affiliated with al-Qaeda. Fifteen of the 19 were citizens of Saudi Arabia, and the others were from the United Arab Emirates (2), Egypt, and Lebanon. And we invaded Iraq and Afghanistan. Idiocy! Of  course, Bush spent the Vietnam War in the air force reserves piloting a plane that was obsolete and would never have been used in the war. He moved ahead in line of hundreds of other men to get his position. He also didn't show up for the reserves when he worked on his father's political election. Ah, the privilege of the privileged. If any other man had done that, he would have been prosecuted.

I took Missy out for awhile but it was too cold for her old bones. She came back in and climbed up on the sofa to nap. It's in the 50's out there.

I picked up Bob at 8:45 and we went to exercise class. Afterward five of us went to Utopia for Utopiachina and cinnamon rolls. We had a nice visit.  I warmed up the hamburger pie and we ate what we wanted of it and I gave the last two pieces to Marilyn R, my neighbor. She likes it!

I finally went to the market. I spent $35.00 there. I was out of a lot of groceries.

Then I came home and vacuumed the living room behind my velvet chairs. I discovered Missy had been back there rubbing against the chairs. She left a lot of  hair on those chairs. I will have to do that vacuuming more often.

It is nearly 4:00 and the paper will be here shortly. So...more later...

Secretary Tom Price resigned today before Trump could fire him. Trump is not a politician so he doesn't know the ins and outs of politics.  He is just an ex TV star who likes to say "you're fired!"

At 5:00, Bob A. came. He stayed until 7:00 or  watch the news and PBS. When he left I took my bath and laid down with Missy on the sofa and we watched TV until 9:00.

2 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Something about that "Drain the Swamp" campaign slogan is coming back to haunt Trump in regards to his cabinet choices and their abuse of travel costs, isn't it.

And then there's that private emails for government use....by Jared, Ivanka and other staffers.

Margie's Musings said...

I believe time will uncover all sorts of Trump and family disasters. These people consider themselves "special" because the are rich. Remember that Trump castigated Hillary for a private e-mail account. Jared evidently doesn't think there's anything wrong with that.