Monday, May 18, 2009

The President's Notre Dame Speech


If you missed the president's speech at Notre Dame at the commencement exercise there yesterday as we did, do go to You Tube and catch it on four videos. I always thought Clinton was the greatest orator we have had as president but Obama has him beat. His sincere style and humble remarks were simply phenomenal.

I continue to be impressed with this president although I do not agree with all his policies, I do agree that he really is on the way to being our greatest president...if some nut doesn't assassinate him. That is my greatest fear where is is concerned.

I loved his comparison of being at a crossroads and a lighthouse. He spoke of Cardinal Joseph Bernardin who was the Archbishop of Chicago. "For those of you too young to have known him, he was a kind and good and wise man. A saintly man. I can still remember him speaking at one of the first organizing meetings I attended on the South Side. He stood as both a lighthouse and a crossroads - unafraid to speak his mind on moral issues ranging from poverty, AIDS, and abortion to the death penalty and nuclear war. And yet, he was congenial and gentle in his persuasion, always trying to bring people together; always trying to find common ground. Just before he died, a reporter asked Cardinal Bernardin about this approach to his ministry. And he said, "You can't really get on with preaching the Gospel until you've touched minds and hearts." "

What a great philosophy.

7 comments:

Linda said...

Margie, I too was greatly impressed. He needs to give that speech before Congress. It was awesome.

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, it was Linda.

Betty said...

I loved his speech. He makes such good sense! Isn't it wonderful to have an intelligent, thoughtful president for a change?

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, it is. I never got used to having a president who couldn't even express himself sensibly.

Balisha said...

His reference to Cardinal Bernadin was perfect.Bishop Dorn is another story. Read what he had to say about President Obama speaking at Notre Dame.He's my Bishop,and I consider myself a good Catholic, but I agree... you get farther with consideration and love in this world.
http://wdtprs.com/blog/2009/04/bp-doran-d-rockford-vivisects-fr-jenkins-notre-shame/

Margie's Musings said...

He's pretty harsh considering that an embryo is not yet a child in the very early stages. I agree that abortion used as birth control is wrong but there are times, like when the life of the mother is at stake when I believe it may be necessary.

Sansego said...

I actually believe that its quite difficult to assassinate a public figure. I believe, of course, that JFK's assassination was an inside job connected to his hesitation to commit more troops to Vietnam. So long as Obama doesn't ruffle too many feathers of the unelected shadowy figures in our government, he's well protected. I think everyone knows these days that assassination only ends up creating a huge mythology behind the martyred person. These days, the preferred modus of control is blackmail and character assassination to destroy the person's image if they don't do the bidding of the ruling class.

My hope is that Obama can outwit them all and go down in history as our third greatest president (in my opinion, it is nearly impossible for any president to dislodge Lincoln and FDR from the top two positions as our greatest presidents).