Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday Again

It's Sunday again and I will have the sermon at church today. The theme is "All Are Worthy". It's taken from the scripture in Mark about the Syrophoenician woman who wanted Jesus to heal her daughter. That's one of those mystery stories. Jesus appears to be rather hardhearted when it comes to healing anyone who is not Jewish. Yet he accepted all sorts of untouchables in his own culture. Many Bible scholars believe the story was added later by the early Christian movement to justify converting Gentiles. Yet it portrays Jesus in a very un-Jesus way. It will be difficult to justify the scripture as authentically from Jesus because of that. Jews not only considered all Gentiles as unclean and portrayed them as "dogs" but also the woman, being a woman, in that culture was never supposed to approach a strange man in that way and speak to him.

Yesterday evening I watched parts of two old movies. The first was "The Goodbye Girl" and the second was "Apollo 13" Both were very interesting and though I had seen both, it was good to see them again.

After church we will go eat lunch together somewhere and then I will do my traditional letters. I will need to fix a dessert and spruce up the house a little for the "Living the Questions" group tonight. It meets here at 7:00. >

More later...

I got my dessert finished and iced later this afternoon and the group came about 6:45. They trickled in until 7:10. We had a good discussion. I had twelve. That's about all my 15 by 15 foot living room can seat. Everyone liked my dessert and tea afterward. After everyone left I did my dishes up and put away my chairs and then took my bath. That's such a good group. I will go to bed now.

No comments: