Sunday, September 20, 2015

Next Sunday's Sermon



“Honestly Examine Our Lives”
September 27th 2015 Sermon

Mark 9:38–50
John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name, and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” But Jesus said, “Do not stop him; for no one who does a deed of power in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. Whoever is not against us is for us. For truly I tell you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you bear the name of Christ will by no means lose the reward. 

“If any of you put a stumbling block before one of these little ones who believe in me, it would be better for you if a great millstone were hung around your neck and you were thrown into the sea. If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life maimed than to have two hands and to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire. And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life lame than to have two feet and to be thrown into hell. And if your eye causes you to stumble, tear it out; it is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and to be thrown into hell, where their worm never dies, and the fire is never quenched. 

“For everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good; but if salt has lost its saltiness, how can you season it? Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with one another.” 

Exploring the Scripture
The Gospel of Mark was likely written before the other Gospels—four collections of sayings grouped together because they share common words and ideas. The author is unknown but the Gospel of Mark was written around 64 CE. The Gospels contain a series of teachings about discipleship and the importance of humility and harmony. At first glance the sayings seem to be unrelated, even disjointed, but with careful study we discover they have a common theme: Harmonious, peaceful relationships are central to authentic discipleship. This section of Mark’s Gospel stresses the importance of relationship (covenant) and denounces vying for power, status, or importance.

This passage is arranged in three sections. The first four verses (vv. 38–41) directly follow the discussion among the disciples about who is the greatest. Previously, the disciples had been arguing among themselves and were reprimanded by Jesus.

In verses 38–41, the concern is not who among them is the most important but rather are the disciples more important or more “authorized” than others? They complain that someone who is not one of them has been performing exorcisms in the name of Jesus. Jesus replied that just as they are not to vie for status or place among themselves, they also should not draw boundaries around who can use Jesus’ name and who cannot; who is considered in and who is out. All who act for good in the name of Jesus are worthy.

In the next section, verses 42–48, Jesus cautioned against causing others to stumble in faith. The “little ones” referred to are not children but new or not yet mature disciples. The disciples must take care to set examples of peaceful relationships. The original recipients of the gospel would have understood severing-limbs and plucking-out-eyes language as metaphorical. These references reinforce a cultural understanding that self-sacrifice is preferable over injuring another.

Early Christians would have also known that “hell” or “Gehenna” was a valley just outside the southwest wall of Jerusalem. Centuries before it had been a place pagans used for rituals including child-sacrifice. At different times in the history of Israel, Jewish kings had both outlawed and tolerated these rituals. In Jewish writings the valley was a place of punishment and death for the unrighteous. 

During the time Mark’s Gospel was written, the valley was the city dump. It was a place of maggots (worms) and unending fires and smoke and had a horrid reputation with both Jewish and Gentile Christians. This graphic passage is not meant to be taken literally but it does cause the reader to understand the importance of the message. It is better to live harmoniously with others than risk broken relationships that injure the body of believers.

This passage concludes with two verses about salt (vv. 49–50). Salt was a precious commodity used to season and preserve food. Israelites were commanded to include salt with all their religious offerings. The offering of salt represented the essence of the covenant relationship between God and Israel. Salt had additional cultural meanings as well. There are several Greek writings that compare salt to the taste of hospitality and friendship. Christians are to keep their saltiness, to practice relationships of hospitality, friendship, harmony, and peace.

There are questions we each should ask ourselves. 

Have you ever argued with another Christian over who was right and who was wrong? I know I have..I love to discuss theology. However, I think it is very important to know that where religion is concerned there are no firm answers…only questions. Therefore, I think we should discuss religion in a non-threatening way…realizing there are very few firm answers…but we should all keep searching for our own personal answers and relationship with God.  

For this reason, I love our “Living the Questions” group. There are only three of us who are members of this church out of the twelve but the group discussions following the viewing of the video which features Old and New Testament historians and theologians always give us all food for thought. We have learned to love one another and try to always attend the meetings. 

Has there been a time when your actions may have weakened someone else’s faith? Again, yes, when Jeromy and Steve were in my Senior High Church School class and I taught them. I have a lot of different ideas about religion and I may have damaged their faith...as Jesus taught.  And the question now is, “How did you bring that relationship back to wholeness?” I admit that I evidently never did. They neither one came back to church after they grew up and went away to school and got married. I regret that and have no idea whether my class made that difference. 

How can our congregation share its “saltiness” (hospitality, friendship, building community relationships) in ways that bring about justice-making and peace? Though we are small, we try to do that in every way possible. Wherever possible, I think someone from our congregation should attend the Ministerial Alliance meetings. In Coffeyville they meet on the first Thursday of each month for lunch. It is very important to realize that all Christian churches can work together to help build good community relationships. Organizations like Pinch can build up relationships with the diverse community as well. Our participation in the weekly dinner with providing the cakes for their dessert is very important to the First Christian Church in Independence.
Leslie and I have worked together to modify our information brochure and we have copies of that brochure in the foyer on the table. We welcome all and that brochure emphasizes that. We have had our church listed in the County Chronicle along with the listings in the Independence Reporter and the Coffeyville Journal. The Chronicle has a large circulation both in hard copy and in the e-edition..

Although we are a ‘peace” church, I personally consider it very important that we stand up for the right in our various communities. If we see injustice, we should speak up in the most public way possible…perhaps in the city’s newspaper “letters to the editor”. If we don’t do that..or something, we are contributing to the injustice.  Our opinions, as long as they are not inflammatory, are important to be heard. And I also believe we should always vote in every election…both local and national.  Those who choose not to do so should not complain if those elections turn out badly.  

So, yes, we should honestly examine our lives and acknowledge where we fall short….and then attempt to make necessary changes. 

When Keith, my elder son, was about to go into third grade, his teacher called Bob and me in for a conference. She told us that he constantly fought with his classmates and she felt he needed to go to a child psychologist in Tulsa each week all summer. We were appalled but we decided we should do it. Also these sessions were to be for him and we were not to attend them. At the end of the summer, we would have a consultation and the psychologist would share his opinion. Each week, we took Keith to Tulsa to see this psychologist. At summer’s end we had our consultation.  What he told us devastated me. He said there was nothing wrong with Keith. The fault was mine. He said Keith never felt he could “win” and he took it out on his classmates. I was crushed. I knew I was not a great mother but I thought he needed structure in his life. 

What he really needed was to be able to feel he could win some of our conflicts. I sat down on his bed and asked him to sit next to me. I told him I was going to make some changes. But I asked him to be patient with me because It was not going to be easy for me….but I would change. He was a very understanding child for a nine year old. He put his arms around me and told me it would be alright. It took time, but eventually I felt I began to be a better parent, 

So as you can see, I am a work in process. I am telling myself “To Honestly Examine Our Lives” as well as you folks in the congregation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You say that you were not a good mom? How dare you! Look at Keith! Look at the man he has become! do you thing that happened by chance? Do you think any of your kids just "happened to become (my opinion) Good law abiding citizens? (Took me a while but I made it back) Look at what your son Keith and your daughter Leslie have become and are doing with there lives! How dare you degrade your mothering! We all make mistakes! but YOU...YOU Were a great mother! YOU took us to camp EVERY YEAR! YOU provided (with dads help) A home over our head! food in our mouths! and NOT ONE OF US EVER went without as long as YOU had any say..yes you made some mistakes..who the hell hasn't in parenting! When you feel like you failed your children...stop and take a look at who at least the first two have become! YOU Were/Are The best! NOT ONE OF US would not think for a moment for not saying so! we make joke about it from time to time but ..what child doesn't...we ALL laugh at ourselves and our strivings! YOU are the Best mom ever! and like I told dad in his last dyeing breath the morning he passed away..as tears rolled down his cheek while in a coma (because he heard) when your well over a 100 years of age and on your death bed..I will say those same words.." Mom, I wouldn't give ANYONE To be my mom but YOU! I have know regrets! You Were The Best!"

Anonymous said...

sorry for the poor writing..I was excited and passionate about my words..and typed them fast.

Margie's Musings said...

How sweet! I really appreciate your opinion, son. I consider it a minor miracle that you all turned out to be such wonderful kids. I was such a structured person and so hard on you kids! But thanks so much for cutting me so much slack.

ChuckFu said...

Mine won't be as lengthy as Scott's but I agree 100%, we had the best parents, both in a Mom and dad, you both complimented each other in child rearing, I am so blessed to have been given of God to you two, I yearn for the Day to be able to hug my dad again and when I day comes, I see you both, that will be my heaven

Galla Creek said...

Enjoyed
the sermon and also son's comments!

Margie's Musings said...

Isn't that wonderful! They don't seem to remember the harsh stuff. They only recall the good times. Talk about the grace of God!