Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Wednesday and In Florida

Well, I made it yesterday! It was quite a trip. I stayed Monday night at the Hilton and told them, as they told me to, to send me a wake up call at 4:00 AM. I also told them I would need the shuttle at 5:00 since my plane was to take off at 7:00 AM.

Well, that didn't happen. They didn't call me at 4:00 AM and luckily I had taken an alarm clock and it did wake me up. Then I called the desk to ask what happened. The woman who checked me in did not make a note of either. So when I talked to the young man on duty in the morning, I told him about it and he did order the shuttle. It came on time and I got to the airport in plenty of time. But I also was unable to connect to their internet there at the Hilton. They gave me three different codes but none of them worked.

Going through security at the Tulsa airport, something in my carry-on set off an alarm.  So they went through everything in the bag, stirring it all up and then I had to be patted down by a woman there. They found nothing illegal but a bottle of lotion  and that didn't set off the alarm but they still threw it away. It was larger then 10 ounces. It was brand new and a Christmas gift. I don't know what danger a bottle of lotion is but that's "security". I asked them if they had encountered very many 81 year old women  terrorists.  They said they felt someone could always plant something on an 81 year old person.

Finally I got on the plane for Charlotte. There I sat next to a man with a terrible cold. If I'm as lucky as I usually am, I won't get it. I read my Kindle until we got to Charlotte. When I got to the Charlotte airport I discovered that the gate I needed to find to leave for Jacksonville was all the way to the other end of the terminal. I had my carry-on and the computer bag to carry. That's when I felt my 81 years. Those two bags were very heavy. When the plane took off for Jacksonville, the man at the gate said I should let him check that carry on since the plane was packed and it would be a complimentary check. I was happy to let him do that. Then I just had to carry on the computer bag.

When I got to Jacksonville and the baggage area, I found both of the bags just fine. Scott circled around until he saw where I was standing outside the terminal at the baggage door and picked me up.  To say I was delighted to be done with the air travel for two weeks  would be an understatement.

We stopped for gas and shortly after that we arrived to their home. Ginger came in soon and started dinner. We had a nice dinner. I was pretty hungry. All I had had to eat all day was the breakfast bar I had in my purse. Somehow I wasn't particularly hungry all day. I will use one of their carry-ons when I go back home. Theirs have wheels. The one I brought was my Bob's and it was old and did not have wheels.

I slept fairly well last night. I think we went to bed fairly early after watching a movie. It was called "The Family" and was hilarious.  I think we all went to bed at 8:00 so I was awake at 4:00 and just got up. Scott was up.

Scott had been notified by his staff about that time that his parked work truck had been hit and wrecked out on the island and he needed to come in and assess the damage. After he lined me out on where things were etc, he went on to work.

He thinks he will be back home at 2:00 or so.

Later...this weekend, we will see a movie. They have waited for me to come to go see it. 

More later....

I think the one they want to see is called "Collateral Beauty" and stars Will Smith. There are a couple of others I would like to see. One is "Fences" and stars Denzel Washington and the other one is "Manchester By The Sea" with Casey Afflect.  Maybe I will see those at home.

More later again...

Scott came home after 2:00 and started fixing dinner for Ginger and me. I pitched in and helped. We fixed spaghetti.  It was very good. Scott browned some sausage on his grill while I stirred up the spaghetti and added spices. It was a good dinner.

Later Ginger went to a crafts party and he and I watched the movie, "The Judge" on the TV. Later I watched a chick flick. He watched it as long as he could but finally just had to go to bed.  I finished it before I took my bath and went to bed at 9:00. It was a good first full day. I did little things like emptying the dish washer. :) It is truly a vacation.


Lynette said...

Well, at least this flight was a "little" less eventful than your others. Merry Christmas and have a good vacation.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Lynette! You have a very Merry Christmas too! I am delighted to be with my son and his wife for Christmas.

Sister--Three said...

So glad you are there safe. Now, have a wonderful time!

Margie's Musings said...

I will Sister-Three! Thank you!