Thursday, May 3, 2018

Thursday and Apartment Cleaning Day

Although Missy and I went to bed at 9:00 PM, I woke up at 11:00 PM to the sounds of a raging storm. I didn't know it until morning but we were under a severe thunderstorm warning.  I went right back to sleep. I slept until 4:00 AM when I just got up and got ready for the day and then I fixed breakfast for myself and fed and watered Missy.

In a little bit, I will clean the bathroom and kitchen floors.  Then I will vacuum. Carol Henson will be coming sometime this morning to return my dish. I had taken her a casserole the day she notified me about Bill's passing. Later, at noon, I will go to the Alliance meeting.

When I get a break in the weather, I will plant my flower pots and flower box. Then later, I will plant my two flowerbeds. I will take some photos when I get that all finished and post them here.

I got the apartment cleaned and Carol came and brought by my casserole dish. I showed her my apartment. She wants to sell her house and  move into an apartment in Independence. That's probably a wise move. She won't be able to keep up with the upkeep without Bill.

I went to the Ministerial Alliance meeting at noon but it was not well attended.That was a shame since it was the election of new officers. I was elected secretary/treasurer.

Then I played solitaire for awhile before turning on the news. At 7:00, I took my bath and put my PJs on and Missy and I watched another of those documentaries on Amazon TV. Then at 9:00 Missy and I went to bed.

I copied these today from a blogger friend's comments.

I. WE BELIEVE each human being is made in God’s image and likeness (Genesis 1:26). . . . The global community of Christ absolutely prevents any toleration of racial bigotry. . . .

THEREFORE, WE REJECT the white resurgence of white nationalism and . . . doctrines or political strategies that use racist resentments, fears, or language. . . .

II. WE BELIEVE we are one body. . . . There is to be no oppression based on race, gender, identity, or class (Galatians 3:28). . . .

THEREFORE, WE REJECT misogyny, the mistreatment, violent abuse, sexual harassment, and assault of women. . . . We lament when such practices seem publicly ignored, and thus privately condoned, by those in high positions of leadership. . . . We support the courageous truth-telling voices of women. . . .

III. WE BELIEVE how we treat the hungry, the thirsty, the naked, the stranger, the sick, and the prisoner is how we treat Christ himself (Matthew 25:31–46). . . . God calls us to protect and seek justice for those who are poor and vulnerable, and our treatment of people who are “oppressed,” “strangers,” “outsiders,” or otherwise considered “marginal” is a test of our relationship with God. . . .
THEREFORE, WE REJECT the language and policies of political leaders who would debase and abandon the most vulnerable. . . . We strongly deplore the growing attacks on immigrants and refugees. . . . We won’t accept the neglect of the well-being of low-income families and children, and we will resist the repeated attempts to deny healthcare to those who most need it. . . .
IV. WE BELIEVE that truth is morally central to our personal and public lives. . . .
THEREFORE, WE REJECT the practice and pattern of lying that is invading our political and civil life. . . . The normalization of lying presents a profound moral danger. . . .

V. WE BELIEVE that Christ’s way of leadership is servanthood, not domination. . . .

THEREFORE, WE REJECT any moves toward autocratic political leadership and authoritarian rule. . . .

VI. WE BELIEVE. . . . Our churches and our nations are part of an international community whose interests always surpass national boundaries. . . .

THEREFORE, WE REJECT “America first” as a theological heresy. . . . We reject xenophobic or ethnic nationalism. . . . We reject domination rather than stewardship of the earth’s resources. . . . Global poverty, environmental damage, violent conflict, weapons of mass destruction, and deadly diseases in some places ultimately affect all places, and we need wise political leadership to deal with each of these.”

These affirmations are great food for thought and study. My big question is this: Will mainstream Christian churches do anything more than just study them? Up to now, the mainstream churches’ silence has been deafening! What do you think?



No comments: