Sunday, September 7, 2008

Scary Prospect!

I just checked out the latest polls and I find the two candidates are neck in neck. That is truly scary. I cannot imagine another four/eight years of Republican Administration.

My dream ticket would reinstate the regulations on big business. I know it sounds restrictive and in a perfect world, big business would restrict itself. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world. Big business and the very wealthy take every advantage they can to make big money, regardless of whether it's good for the environment or good for humans. Simply said, they just don't care. Just a few years ago, for example, the tobacco companies were adding nicotine to cigarettes to make them even more addictive and this was AFTER it was proven that tobacco is the leading cause of lung cancer. Now, you know what they do since sales of tobacco are so restricted in the US? They export them to third world companies. Now how "Christian" is that for a country that advertises itself as a Christian nation?

And I could go on and on. Last year I went to a conference in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and the keynote speaker was Robert Kennedy Jr. He is in a position to know all about the abuses of power and he said some very straight talking things about abuses by big business.

Check out some of Kennedy's concerns here.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/7395411/deadly_immunity/

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1120-01.htm

My dream ticket would raise taxes on the very rich. They can't take their money with them and they would never miss the additional money they would be paying out in taxes. For example, McCain would pay $400,000 more each year in taxes. And he is not one of the super rich. He would never even miss that money and it could help provide health care for the poor. No wonder he has fought to make those tax cuts for the very rich a permanent thing.

6 comments:

Linda said...

I have to believe those polls are meant to keep us on the edge of our seats, to give the media something to talk about, and keep away voter apathy. Surely Americans are smarter than to vote in a McCain-Palin ticket. Surely they wouldn't do that.

Margie's Musings said...

Plus the fact that many, many Americans rely only on cell phones and the pollsters can't get those numbers.

Sansego said...

I don't believe the polls. I think they are manipulated to make it a horserace, which the media wants. Plus, close elections are easier to steal.

From articles I've read, McCain would not have made a risky choice of Sarah Palin if they were truly neck and neck. He was probably far behind, thus why the big gamble. She definitely energized the base, but there's still too many things that need investigating. She has too many liabilities that I don't see how they can win.

I read someone's theory online somewhere that they think if McCain wins, he won't live to see the end of his term, which is what evangelicals want so Palin can become president and appoint Jeb Bush as her VP.

Democrats need to hammer home McCain's age and poor judgement regarding Iraq, Katrina (he had invited Bush to celebrate his birthday while New Orleans drowned), and his VP.

Judy said...

I don't believe the polls either. I think Obama is going to win hands down. I just can't imagine there are that many people that would vote for McCain. I watched a thing on CNN on him last night and they said he lied in his book about his marriage and had the license to marry Cindy before he was even divorced from his first wife. When they asked him about it, he said that was a long time ago! In the book he says he was separated when he and Cindy started dating and according to the records they found, he was not separated.

Margie's Musings said...

That's correct, Judy. That's what I have found too. I don't rust him. Today, however, the polls have him three points ahead of Obama.

Now that's even scarier.

Sansego said...

Like we said...don't believe the polls. Obama has the youth vote and I think they will turn out in droves this time. Most of them only have cell phones.

Polls used to be accurate, but since the 2000 elections, they haven't been. I think cell phones are the culprit.