Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New Meds

Bob's doctor started him on Lasix to try to get rid of some of the fluid in his body. Then he needs to take Potassium because Lasix flushes the potassium out of the body. So now, a man who never took meds at all until two years ago, is taking metformin for his diabetes, thyroid, pain meds, and now the Lasix and potassium. He is woozy today and although he wants to take Leslie to lunch, I cannot let him drive out to pick her up. She will have to drive in and meet us at the clinic where my 11:00 meeting is held.

I went over at 6:45 and stayed with my sister while my brother-in-law went to have breakfast with his friends. I called Bob twice while I was gone. He seemed to be doing alright but after 2 1/2 hours, he needed more of his pain medicine. When I got home, he ate some crackers and took another pain pill. Then we got him dressed.

We went to Independence for lunch with our daughter but he was really exhausted. I told him we could cancel lunch but he wanted to go. But for the third time in our 56 years of marriage, he did not shave. The last two times were when he had the flu over thirty years ago.

He had pain meds at lunch and is probably going to need more soon. When we got home, he took a second pill. One is not doing the job now.

I dread tomorrow. The oncologist is probably going to want a PET scan to try to find that primary tumor. Bob told our daughter at noon that he did not want chemotherapy. He does not want to get sick to his stomach. She told him of two people we know who did not get sick with chemotherapy. I don't know whether she convinced him or not.

Susie did tell him to take the radiation because it would help with the pain. He said he would do that.

2 comments:

Balisha said...

Good luck at the oncologist. I hope things can be done for Bob without much discomfort. Hang in there...You're in my prayers. Balisha

Margie's Musings said...

Thank you so much, Balisha. I am still taking things one day at a time...and so is Bob.