Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bad Saturday

I didn't sleep well again last night but I feel alright now.

Bob got up at 6:00 in real pain again. He wanted the morphine so I gave it to him. An hour later he was still in pain so I gave him two percocet tablets. Then he slept on the sofa. He didn't want breakfast and I got him to take just two bites out of a piece of toast and a bite of bacon. He did not want eggs. I forgot to give him his metformin for his diabetes. I called our daughter and told her about his strange behavior. She came right in and spent most of the day.

He slept most of the day. He woke at 11:00 for two more percocet then went right back to sleep. Leslie left for a little while and then called to see if I wanted a milk shake. I did. She brought it back with her about 2:00 and I went in to check on Bob. He was awake. I asked him if he wanted some of my milk shake and he said "yes" so I gave him some in a glass with a straw. At 3:00 he got up and came in to turn on the TV. I asked him if he was going to be able to eat and if wanted me to thaw out hamburger for dinner. He said, "I thought we were going to eat out with John and Leslie tonight".

Go figure!

I better take that metformin with us tonight.

So, if he stays awake, we will go eat at Sirloin Stockade tonight.

2 comments:

pat m said...

People who have pain related to cancer need to keep on top of the pain. The best way to do this is take the pain med on a schedule.. Also it is important to write a pain journal. Where the pain is , what intensity 1-10. what med is taken.

Hope this helps...Hospice RN for 10 years here.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Pat. I am already keeping a pain medication record and am giving him his meds on a regular schedule. He says his pain is an 8. I give him his morphine at 6:00 AM and PM and his other med every four hours.

Thanks for the advise though. I really appreciate it.