Thursday, May 13, 2010

Second Radiation Treatment

Today at 10:30 will be Bob's second radiation treatment. I hope, after all he's going through, that these treatments really do help his pain.

I slept well last night, thank goodness. It started thundering and lightening about 4:30 and that woke me up. About 5:00, I heard Missy crying to get in the back door. I had left her out last night. She can always sleep in one of the chairs on the covered patio. If I bring her in, between 1:30 and 3:00, she decides she wants out and wakes me up. Slinky wanted to come in the kitchen too. He's nearly deaf and almost blind but he still knows when a storm is brewing and I always let him in the kitchen when that happens. He is real good about staying there in the utility area even without a barricade. (I wouldn't trust him all night though).

In awhile, I will need to get Bob to shave and get him dressed for his 10:30 appointment. It is only 7:30 now though.

I will update later.

Afternoon:

Bob is completely zapped today. I can't imagine why he is more "out of it" then yesterday. His mouth is very dry.

Alice, at Dr. Powell's radiation lab, called the PET scan people about Bob's PET scan. They will contact Medicare and see if Medicare will pay their 80% on it. If they approved it, they will call my cell phone later on today and set up the time. If they don't approve it, they will not do it. It costs $5,000 and they will need to be paid.

Today, they took photos of his skin and then did the radiation treatment.

Alice also called the American Cancer Society and gave me telephone numbers for two other sources. They will help with such things as utility bills, etc, if our money has to go to pay the medical bills. So far, I have only received one bill from Jane Phillips Memorial Medical Center for $560.00 They have filed for Medicare to pay their part so I am not to pay the bill yet. I also have not yet had the bill from December's CT scan, x-rays and ultrasound here at CRMC, our hospital. There will also be bills from Dr. Raburn in Bartlesville, the lab, and the lab doctor. Then, if they send his biopsy to California, there will be bills from that lab and doctor as well. Then if he decides to take the chemo, that's another matter. I can't worry about that now. But we are still just taking one day at a time.

Bob is sleeping now. On the way home, He took his second pain pill. He just had his lunch so it's nap time.

They just called to schedule his PET scan for in the morning at 10:00. He needs to be there at 9:30 for outpatient registration. He can eat nothing after 6:00 so I will get him up with me to eat his breakfast at 5:00 or 5:30. He is to check his glucose before eating and take his meds as usual. They inject glucose isotope so if his glucose is as much as 200, they won't do the test. None of his meds will conflict with the PET scan. He can't have coffee or juice but can have all the water he wants. They wanted a list of his meds so I put all of that and the instructions on the computer and printed off a copy.

This should be interesting. I am really hoping they can find the primary. And I hope it isn't the lung.

No comments: