Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ministerial Association

Today the Independence church's Ministerial Association is meeting. If possible I should go if only to say "goodbye". If I go to work, I will probably work 8:00 until noon. The Association meets at 11:30 and I could not make it...especially since it's a 20 - 30 minute drive to Independence. I have attended the association for many years. In fact, I was president some years back. Many of the ministers there have changed over the years as they have been transferred to other churches or retired. I am not as attached to the newer group.

On the other hand, the Coffeyville Ministerial Alliance is nearer. It is here. I might be able to work out getting there. I am secretary/treasurer there and have been for years. I could leave an hour early and make it up another day. I will also have to give up my chaplain work. It is all day for a week and we are on call nights too.

I saw Phyllis yesterday afternoon and also went to see Gerry. Phyllis was in fairly good spirits. Denise was there feeding her her lunch. I stayed about 40 minutes. Then I went to see Gerry. She is having some more problems with her heart. She will be 90 in April so anything is possible. But she was in real good spirits.

Today, I should go to see Carletta. I started to do that yesterday when I stayed in Independence and had lunch with Leslie. Carletta is dying of a rare blood cancer. She was diagnosed five years ago and she has tried nearly every treatment, even experimental ones. They had given her about five years to live. Nothing has worked. Her organs are enlarged and she gets weaker and weaker every week. She is trying to make it until spring. She has lived the past six or eight months on blood transfusions but they are doing less to help her. I called at 1:00 yesterday and her husband said her sister had come to visit and they had gone downtown. He said she would be exhausted when she returned and suggested today instead.

So, about noon, I'll call again and see what kind of day she is having. She says she is completely wiped out in the mornings. I am fixing a chicken and rice casserole to take out there.

More later...

No comments: