Thursday, February 10, 2011

Very Cold Thursday

This is my front yard with three feet of snow in it. When I got up at 4:45 this morning, it was -21 degrees out there...and this is southeast Kansas. I don't ever recall it being that cold. Tulsa, Oklahoma, 72 miles south of here broke their record for winter snowfall. The record had stood since 1923 -24. Bartlesville, 40 miles south of here, received 1 1/2 to 2 feet of snow yesterday. Good heavens! That is Oklahoma for Pete's sake.

My gas bill is going to be astronomical in March. That's when they bill February, of course. Lord only knows what March will be like...or even the remainder of February. I hope I can pay it.

Slinky decided he had to go pee this morning at 3:00 AM. I got up and let him out but then at 4:00, he decided it was time for breakfast and started barking. I finally came into the kitchen and bawled him out and that held him until 4:45, when I finally got up. But then I took my time getting him his breakfast. Darn dog! These animals are going to be the death of me yet!

Today I will stay in. It's just too cold to go out.

More later...

I see in the Health news that diet soda may be a cause of stroke and heart attack. I have never drunk diet soda and have almost given up drinking any soda at all since they make it with high fructose corn syrup now. I do not believe the pancreas can process high fructose corn syrup and much of it has also found to contain mercury which is toxic to the body. Princeton and Duke University studies say that anyhow. There is more and more evidence about how unhealthy high fructose corn syrup is. If the farm lobby weren't so powerful, the government would forbid it's use. Especially since obesity is a major concern of the president's wife.

There is also quite a bit of evidence that it causes diabetes because it causes insulin resistance. Since the pancreas can't process it, it is dumped directly into the blood stream.

I have written letters to the editor for years about this problem but nothing has happened. The farm lobby is just too strong. Corporate farms have too much power in Washington.

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

Margie, we live on I40 half way between Little Rock and Ft. Smith. It is one degree here. I am home from school another day. We now have 4 make up days. The sun is shining but it is what I call fool's sun--really cold outside.

I have animals to tend and chicks to water but will wait until about noon to do it.

I don't drink much soda but I do love morning coffee to get me going. I don't put sugar or cream in it. My husband decided the diet soda killed brain cells so he will not touch it. Once in a while we have a soda, but not daily. I am going to have to have surgery on my gallbladder--well, remove it! I think it is an inherited trait and not due to what I ate unless it was going up eating all the pork we butchered.

Take care and stay warm. Be careful when you go outside. One fall could mean a broken hip.

The reason I have posted the photos of the birds is I can take those from my kitchen glass door.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks for all the comments, Sister--Three. I read your blog much of the time. I enjoy your comments about the chickens. When I was a child we raised chickens.