Thursday, January 5, 2012

Better Night!

Last night was a little better. Slinky woke up at midnight needing to go out so I let him out and back in. Then thirty minutes later he started barking again. I came in and feigned terrible anger, tried to get him into the garage (which he hates) and finally told him "No!" about going out again. I knew he just wanted to go dig in the flowerbed and eat dirt. Then I told him "You get back to bed!!!" in no uncertain terms. This time he was quiet. Unfortunately by this time I was upset and could not go back to sleep. All I could think about was this hassle all winter long. If I could just train him to stop that barking to get out every thirty minutes! Otherwise, much against my wishes, I am going to have to have him put down. I really don't want to do that. Finally an hour later I got up and took a sleeping pill and we both slept the rest of the night. We'll see how that goes from now on. As you can see in the above photos, Slinky is sharing his bed again with Missy. He is very tolerant of her.

I attended the PINCH meeting last evening and enjoyed it. They had a real good attendance. We are planning for the 14th and our Martin Luther King Day celebration. I will make a big pot of chili and some cookies. The committee has it all planned.
They have asked me to offer the invocation and do the prayer for the offeratory. I can do that. I will dress up for this occasion. Usually I just wear slacks. They are warmer. But I will weat a suit for this since I will be on the program.

Today is the Ministerial Alliance meeting at noon so I will have to take off a little early to be there to distribute the minutes and the agendas. There is going to be a mess, I fear. One of the pastors wants to bring up the fact that the college drama coach intends to introduce a play that discusses abortion. It just discusses the issues involved and does not take sides...is my understanding. I see nothing wrong with discussing the issue. In fact, that's the only way both sides can be heard. But many of the ministers will not even want the issue introduced at all.

Personally, I could not have an abortion (even if I were young enough to get pregnant)but as long as it is the law of the land, I respect a woman's right to choose what happens in her own body as long as she doesn't use it as a way for birth control. There are extenuating circumstances where abortion might be the best answer. If the life of the mother is in danger, for example...or if the fetus is so badly malformed or it's brain is on the outside of it's body...something like that...abortion might be the best answer for all involved...especially the fetus. But that is just my opinion....for whatever it's worth.

9 comments:

clairz said...

Please try crate training with Slinky. He'll learn that once he is in the crate, he is there for the night. It will give you a warm, safe, and secure place to leave him when you go to work, too.

Balisha said...

I think that Clairz has the right idea. He's a little old to start with crate training, but it's a good idea, I think.He may object for a few nights, but sooner or later he might learn to like this safe place.
Balisha

Margaret (Peggy or Peg too) said...

Please don't put him down for something like this. He is a healthy good dog. Perhaps a family would take him or a no kill shelter but for heaven's sake don't just kill him because he has not been trained properly not to bark or sleep!! If I could I'd take him in a NY minute! Please reconsider.

Betty said...

It has been my experience that many ministers just want to ignore issues that are controversial, as if they will just go away. You are right. It is best to have open discussions of all issues, whether you agree with them, personally, or not. That's how people make decisions.

The crate idea seems to be a good one for Slinky.

Elaine in Florida said...

I certainly agree with Margaret. Don't give up on him so easily...please give the crate a try!!!!!!!!

Elaine

Margie's Musings said...

I have already tried to crate train him and it didn't work. I couldn't get him to even go into the crate. The crate would work for the night if I could ever get him trained to it but it wouldn't answer my daytime problems this winter. I don't know what to do.

And clairz, the problem with leaving him in it while I am at work is not an answer to the problem because I can't leave him in the house while I am at work and it's too cold outside in the winter to put him outside in it.

I have tried to give him away but no one wants a 14 year old Shar Pei.

clairz said...

Margie, he could be in the crate in the house while you are at work. Warm, safe, secure, and easy on the house, too.

We have also used baby gates to confine dogs to the kitchen area. They can move around more that way, maybe this would work for your Slinky.

Margie's Musings said...

Once when I left Bob here with Slinky, while I was in Tulsa for a weekend, Bob wanted to go up to the Red Cross. He had Slinky baracaded in the kitchen. Slinky needed to go to the bathroom bad so he pushed through the baracade and did a bad number on the living room carpet. Bob did the best he could to clean it up but the next day, we had to call in a carpet cleaner. The stain came back in the next year and I had to get down with an old towel and a bottle of "Resolve" to get it out permanently.

Margie's Musings said...
This comment has been removed by the author.