Monday, February 6, 2012

A Minor Catastrophie

Last night was a huge success until I started to serve my dessert. I had 14 here and my small living room was packed. It's only 15ft by 15ft. But that was really not the problem. The catastrophie happened while I was serving brownies with ice cream and a variety of teas and reached up to the top shelf of my cabinet to get cups.

Suddenly the second shelf came down. The plastic shelf holder had broken. Dishes went everywhere including one that hit me in the face and on the lip. The dishes that fell only to the cabinet top, did not break and even some that fell to the floor did not break. But I did lose five saucers and three cereal bowls. Broken dishes were all over the floor and cabinet tops along with the sugar from the sugar bowl. Those who were helping me serve came over the barrier (yes, Slinky was in and had gone to bed in the utility area) and helped me sweep up. I not only lost the dishes but my lip was bleeding all over the place. Its swollen this morning and sore but that's the extent of the damage.

The dishes are 35 years old and out of stock years ago but I can replace them from replacements.com. They will be expensive that way but I will need to fill out the set again. I have replaced two salad plates from them that were broken over the years.

Slinky woke up and came in the kitchen to see what all the excitement was about. He did go back to bed when everyone left and I turned the TV on for the 10:00 weather.

That's enough excitement for awhile.

4 comments:

marlu said...

I am so glad you are ok except for the lip! It could have been much worse.

Don't those unexpected things just make us realize how most days are so free of drama? Good wishes for your lip healing and getting replacement dishes!

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks, Marlu. I checked with replacements.com and at this time they have no cereal bowls or single saucers. But they will look for them and e-mail me if they find them.

Balisha said...

Oh, my gosh.... Injuries to the head and face bleed so much.Thankfully you are OK. Take care, Balisha

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks folks. Now I have another new development. I will put it this morning's blog.