Thursday, August 29, 2013

Better Night Wednesday Night

I woke up again at 1:30 last night but after I went to the bathroom I went back to bed and stayed there determined to get some sleep. I finally did go back to sleep and slept until 5:30. That's good for me.

I will leave early this morning and go first to Independence to take my coverlet to be laundered at Wash and Fluff in Independence. From there I will go to Bartlesville to meet Myra for lunch. She will probably be there early anyhow. She will have lots of news to share with me. She has been very busy with her daughter Michelle lately.

I watched all the festivities on PBS last night celebrating the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. It was all interesting.

I also watched the discussion about the proposal to bomb Syria. I don't approve. We need to pursue peace..not another war. There's always collateral damage. That means civilians.

We constantly interfere in other country's civil wars. The United States never seems to learn anything from past experience. We are preparing to once again interfere in the domestic concerns of a foreign country that is in the midst of a civil war. It’s another Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan. It’s another foreign country’s domestic problem that we can’t fix but insist on making some sort of moral statement. Peace gets further and further away when we resort to trying to solve the world’s problems with our own kind of violence instead of using diplomacy.

Over forty thousand people have been killed in this Syrian civil war by conventional weapons and another thousand with the terrible poison gas attack. Now we are preparing to make our own statement about what’s allowed and what’s not allowed in war by doing our own kind of violence.

To make matters even worse, every time we have given some sort of “punishment” in the Muslim world, we have had to suffer the consequences…because our actions are invariably turned against us with another revengeful strike from the radical Muslim element.

Grumble, grumble, grumble. More later.

4 comments:

Betty said...

It just drives me wild when I realize that we are about to meddle in the business of yet another middle eastern country. If our president is smart, he will insist that Congress reconvene and declare war before we do anything. That way, when it becomes a disaster for us, he can just blame them. Heh Heh Heh.

marlu said...

I know chemical weapons are banned and their use is terrible. What good will it do for us to use missiles - just more deaths.

I cannot understand this rush to "do" something when it is none of our business.

Margie's Musings said...

I couldn't agree more with the two of you. When did we become the world's police force. We have plenty of dirty laundry to clean up ourselves.

Besides nothing good would come out of it. It never does.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

I agree.