Monday, September 23, 2013

A Quiet Monday

This will be a quiet day. The busy weekend is over. I will attend the exercise class this morning and then come home to fix dinner. We are having swiss steak, boiled potatoes, veggies, and Bob's salad. Then I have just a little of the Apple Brown Betty left after the Living the Questions group last night. So we will have that for dessert. We had a huge group for my little apartment last night. A couple of extras came and the living room was packed. Still we had a great time and even took a photo while everyone was here. Howard and Judy leave today for Arkansas. They have a condo there and they want to spend the last week of their vacation there.



This is our group. We watched a DVD video and then we discussed what we had watched. Then we had dessert.

This evening I will bake a couple of cakes for the Christian church's dinner tomorrow evening. I will be taking the six from Coffeyville up in the morning.

One of the women last night asked me for the recipe for the Apple Brown Betty. I love this dessert so I will put it here.

4 cups of cored, sliced and pared apples. (I leave the peeling but wash the apples real well first)

1/4 c. orange juice (I used lemon juice because I didn't have orange juice)

Topping:

1 c. sugar

3/4 c. flour

1/2 t. cinnamon

1/4 t. nutmeg

Dash of salt

1/2 c.butter or margarine

Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Mound the apples in a buttered 9X9 baking dish or deep dish pie plate. Sprinkle with the juice. In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly, and place it over the apples. Bake for 45 minutes until apples are done and topping is crisp and brown. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream. Yields 6 - 8 servings.

It's really good!

No comments: