Saturday, December 14, 2013

Saturday and Breakfast

Every Saturday morning, Bob and I go to Eggberts to eat breakfast "out". Ordinarily he eats toast and I have a biscuit...sometimes with a banana. Neither of us eats much breakfast....just enough to take our meds. I take a thyroid pill and a blood pressure pill. He takes more then that. But Saturday mornings we eat out and I usually have an omelet with fruit and a biscuit.

I'm not sure what I will do today. I could address the envelopes for my class newsletter. I am in the process of writing it. The news from my classmates just trickles in.

On the other hand, I am about out of my moisture emulsion cream that goes under my makeup. I could run up to Independence and buy that. I would also get new mascara. I am pretty much out of that too. I put a drop or to of water in it last week to stretch it out.

It's cold out there but I don't think there's any snow or ice in the forecast. Time will tell.

The school violence continues. Yesterday there was another shooting with one being critically wounded. The shooter evidently killed himself after that. I wonder how many more children have to be killed before we stop portraying violence in movies, TV and video games to desensitize our youth and the impressionable. I wonder how many more will have to be killed before people really read the 2nd amendment in context. We no longer have militias. That's what the 2nd amendment really says.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

From Wikipedia:

Gun politics have only become a notable issue in Australia since the 1980s. Low levels of violent crime through much of the 20th century kept levels of public concern about firearms low. In the last two decades of the century, following several high profile multiple murders and a media campaign, the Australian government co-ordinated more restrictive firearms legislation with all state governments.

A common misconception is that firearms are illegal in Australia and that no person may possess them. This belief originates due the general perception that only members of law enforcement, the armed forces, or those in armed security protection are authorized to have them. While it's true that Australia has reasonably strict firearms laws, rifles and shotguns (including semi-automatic), as well as handguns are all legal providing the owner holds a valid firearms license.

As of 2007 about 5.2% of Australian adults (765,000 people)own and use firearms for purposes such as hunting, controlling feral animals, collecting, and target shooting.