Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Tuesday and Cakes

Today I am taking cakes to Independence. After some consultation, Bob decided not to go. He certainly does not need this glop...whatever it is.

I got a better night's sleep last night. I took the cough syrup at 6:00 and that lasted until midnight. I didn't get up and take more then. It seemed to have a residual effect. I awoke coughing just once and then went right back to sleep.

I've had my breakfast and taken my meds. I just had some of Bob's coffee cake.  I did not feel up to oatmeal and the constant trips to the bathroom that brings on. Missy and I came on outside while it was cool enough for her to enjoy it. She can't come out in 90+ degree weather. I believe it's in the 70's right now. She is behaving herself right now and lying on the doormat. She has done well about minding me. Maybe she realizes if she does, she has a better chance at getting to come outside. When she gets ornery and obstinate she has to go in. 

I have another 40 minutes before I leave for Independence. Karan texted me awhile ago and asked what time I leave for Independence. I told her 8:15. She said she would try to get a cake to me by then. I texted her twice last evening but she never answered me. I imagine she was with Gretchen and Richard and having a good time. That's fine. After all she has been through this year, she needs a few good times. She lost Bobby in April after taking care of him for several months. If you recall her had a terrible brain tumor.

She just texted me again and said the cake would be out of the oven in five minutes.

More later...

I may have mentioned earlier that my son and his wife moved into their new home last weekend.  I haven't heard a peep from either of them but I imagine they are meeting themselves coming and going unpacking and getting settled in.

I will be happy to hear from them when they have a moment.

More later....

On another note: While I, as were most of American citizens, was horrified about the terrorist attack on Sunday that killed 49 people in a gay bar in Orlando, the media keeps calling it the worst  attack on American soil except for 9/11...actually...it's not.

I was recently reminded that the largest mass shooting in US history actually happened on December 29, 1890, when 297 Sioux Indians at Wounded Knee Creek,  on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota were murdered by federal agents and the members of the 7th Calvary who had come to confiscate their firearms "for their own safety and protection". The slaughter began after the majority of the Sioux had peacefully turned in their firearms. The Calvary began shooting, and managed to wipe out the entire camp. 200 of the 297 victims were women and children. 

We all need to stay abreast of our American history. Sometimes it's more "convenient" to just bury it.

More later...

I read all afternoon and got a lot of reading done and now in the morning I will not go to exercise class. If I continue to improve I will go out to Asbury Village for Bunco.

I asked Richard if he would come look at Marilyn R's front door and give her an estimate. The trim is broken and coming off and the new landlady will do nothing about it. If it's not too much Marilyn will pay for it.

Bob came over and stayed until 7:00. I watched Genealogy Roadshow and another program  until time to go to bed.


Sister--Three said...

I also wonder how many were gunned down when the fancher
Party wagon train passed through Utah? Many of these were
from my home town. They were lined up and shot. Only a few
children survived. Their bones were left to bleach in the sun. My
Dad knew one of the children they did not kill.

Margie's Musings said...

I have read about that story. They tried to blame it on Indians.

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Interesting information. I had never heard of this before. Now I want to read more about it.

Margie's Musings said...

There lots of history that was left out of history books at school. Some, like this story, was too embarrassing to admit.