Saturday, October 6, 2018

Saturday and Pancake Day

I slept very well last night although when I woke up shortly after 4:00AM, my right arm was aching again. I took an Aleve after I got myself ready for the day.

On my way home from Chanute last evening, Karan called me to ask if I would like to go to the Lion's Club pancake day at the First Baptist Church this morning. I decided to do that. It starts at 7:00AM and we will go at the time.

I am still tired from the week. It was an extremely busy week. I was going to strip my bed today and do some laundry but I am just too tired. I will do that later. Missy peed on the little bathmat again last night. I will wash that again and my towels today. I may just read my book the rest of the day. I have two books to read.

One is from the Book Club at the library. It is called "Nomadland". It is about the thousands of people who lost everything in the crash of 2008..even their homes which had lost much of their value... and were foreclosed on. These folks are mostly seniors and can no longer afford rent and utilities and used what little resources they had to buy a cheap used travel trailer or van and move into it and travel from one minimum wage job to another all over the nation as transients. Their basic cost of living is gasoline and food and an occasional vehicle repair. Many of these transient low income jobs have free parking and are run by the National Parks Department. Some of the private ones are at Amazon. Those at Amazon are grueling tedious work and nearly kill a person....especially seniors.  But as a last resort, if they have to, they go to one Amazon after another and tough it out. It seems the cost of living in a home or apartment has far out-distanced their income from social security. I know what little increases we have had since I have been on social security have been offset by the raises in my supplemental insurance and often have left me with even less to live on. And I know the property taxes drove me out of my home three years after Bob died.

I have plenty of reading. At the end of the month we meet at the library and discuss these books.

Tomorrow morning, I will bake and ice my coffee cake for the Church School class at church. I don't know where we will have lunch afterward. I will have to consult with Bob A. and Phyllis F.

The carpet cleaner man, Darrell, will be coming on Monday at 11:00AM to clean my carpet and I get my hair done on Tuesday at 9:00AM and then Juanita has another 10:00AM doctor's appointment on Wednesday next week. That's about all I have planned for next week. I don't recall whether there will be any games on Wednesday afternoon. I don't think so since Asbury Village stopped doing Bingo on the second Wednesday of the month. Another couple is doing that on Tuesday afternoon at the senior center but I don't want to get another day committed so I won't go.

Then that next Saturday, on the 13th, is the senior center rummage sale and I want to use some time next week to figure out what all to put in it. I went through much of my stuff a month ago, but I haven't done any more about it ....so Thursday and Friday next week, I will go through some more.

Missy is patiently waiting for her breakfast so I will get back to this later...

Cyndi contacted me a little while ago that she would have a hard time finding time today to vacuum for me since Four Country Mental Health had called her with a transportation job (she does that part time as they need her) and so I told her I would just manage by myself this time and let her know by text if that turns out to be a mistake and I need her again. I will basically try to do it with my left arm and see how that works this time. I had taken that Aleve and the right arm isn't near as sore so I imagine that will work out just fine.

I fed Missy and a little after 7:00AM, Ronnie and Karan came to pick me up. After we ate breakfast and visited awhile, they brought me home and I vacuumed the apartment and ran a load of laundry. I used my left arm, as planned, to vacuum. It worked out.  I had washed the bathroom and kitchen floors yesterday so dusting is all I have left to do.  I got the laundry out of the dryer and folded and put it away. I need to dust but I don't know whether that will work out or not....I will see. It's nearly noon now. I need to figure out which frozen meal I will eat this time.

More later...

Before I ate any lunch, I drove up to Independence to buy some powder base makeup. I am almost entirely out and we no longer have a Merle Norman store except in Independence and Chanute.

When I got back I cooked one of my Schwan's frozen meals. I am not impressed with them. There is too much food for a single and I can never eat it all. I throw my leftovers out. It's a waste. The Good Value Walmart brand singles are just right and only cost $1.88 each. And they are pretty good!

I did some weeding and took Missy out for awhile while I did that. She really enjoyed that. It rained this morning so I did not have to water.

Now I will get back to my book. More later...

I read all afternoon and finally had a breakfast bar for supper and a bowl of ice cream and then took  my bath a little early and Missy and I watched some Amazon Prime TV until 8:40, when we went on to bed.



No comments: