Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Tuesday and No Coffeyville Flooding...yet!

Again I slept well without using melatonin. I got up close to 5:00AM as usual and dressed and ate my oatmeal and the last of the coffeecake and drank my coffee and now I am working on my Chai Latte.

I am not sure but I don't think it rained last night. I don't see any water on the glass topped table on the patio in the back. I know it is forecast today but don't know whether it is dry enough to mow and if I could get it mowed before the forecast rain starts.  It's only 6:15AM and too early to get out there to mow. My neighbor across the street mowed last evening but he has a riding mower and could do that quickly. I know the grass is probably still wet from dew if nothing else. I will just have to wait until it warms up to check to see if I can mow.

I have put the cat food out. Now I will see if either of the little cats comes to eat.

More later...

It's 7:40AM and I haven't seen either of the little cats. But it's not raining yet either. In fact, we have sunshine right now. If it dries out before the rain starts, I will mow.

The great news so far is the river did not crest in either Coffeyville or Independence so, so far no major flooding like in 2007. Both  cities hope the water will continue to recede before the next major storm arrives.

More even later...

And, oh yes! The little gray cat is back eating the cat food out front. Good!

When he/she finished eating and went on back across the street, I started up the mower and mowed the front and side yards. I had to come in and rest awhile after I finished and drink some ice tea before tackling the back yard again. It doesn't look too bad so it won't be a catastrophe if I don't get it done. But after I sit awhile and wipe the sweat off my face, I will try to get it done. It is small....even smaller then the front yard.  The mowing is good exercise for me.

I was out a little while ago surveying the yard and Waste Connections came and picked up my trash. I am so glad. Mine was brim full. When I finished mowing the back yard I wasn't going to have room for my clippings.  Now I do.

More later...I had better get that back yard done if I am going to. It may rain yet. It is forecast for this afternoon.

More later...

It's 10:00AM and I just finished mowing the back yard and it may be just in time. I see the wind is coming up and we are forecast for more rain around 10:00 AM.

I am so glad that is all finished though. This is the front.

 Image may contain: grass, house, outdoor and nature

This is the back.

Image may contain: grass and outdoor

And this is the side...finally.

Image may contain: grass, outdoor and nature

More even later....

I talked to Janet at the senior center and there doesn't seem to be any water on the roads on the way to Branson...at this point.  However, we don't leave until Thursday and we have rain forecast for this afternoon and tomorrow too. So it depends on whether we can get over there without running onto water. We will plan to go to just south of Independence 160 and catch the highway to Altamont and Parsons and then take 400 to Baxter Springs. Hopefully there will be no water on the highway going that way.There is water on 166 just east of Chetopa. Janet checked.

I went back out for awhile and trimmed everything and it looks much neater now. That little Works trimmer really does a good job.

More later...11:30AM  and still no rain. I'm not complaining!

Image may contain: plant and indoor

Ah Ha! The little gray critter came back for another helping.

More even later....

I recently briefly connected with an old Caney friend named Ron. He had written a book of his Memoirs and I bought it at Amazon and received it today. I spent the afternoon reading it and enjoyed reading about his life. 

It's now 4:30PM and it hasn't rained yet today. I got quite a bit done....especially the mowing.

It may rain tonight.  Time will tell....

2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I hope your children keep allowing you to mow your yard. It’s really good for you. If you have allergies get a mask.

Margie's Musings said...

My children don't really have anything to say about it, Sister-Three. Only Leslie lives anywhere nearby and she is so busy with a full time demanding job and a yard and house to take care of herself, she just does what I really cannot do myself. She put my Christmas decoration in the attic for me because she did not want me climbing that pull down ladder and trying to carry boxes while I was climbing. She also handled the large stones I put around my small patio because I am not supposed to carry anything more then 40 pounds.

I have allergies but I just tough it out. :)