Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Tuesday and Mowing

I slept fairly well last night. Not as well as usual lately but not terrible, I got up at 5:00AM since I evidently got my sleep out.

I made my bed and got myself ready for the day. I have had my breakfast and coffee and Chai and fed two cats...on was Scruffy and the other one of the young yellow cats.

It appears I still have TV although I have not tried the Amazon Prime yet this morning. Keith got it fixed last night. If Cox doesn't lose our internet, I am home free with the Amazon Prime. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

We are forecast for high winds today.  I hope Krystal can get my yard mowed today..this afternoon after 3:00PM.

I hope the wind will dry the yard this afternoon. So far we had very little rain..but some earlier.  Bob says it is raining in Coffeyville now. I thought it might. Their weather is about twenty minutes behind ours.

Bob says he will have breakfast with me in the morning. We catch up that way every week.

More later

I am starting another book on Epidemics and Pandemics by Frank Snowden. It's title is "Epidemics and Society From the Black Death to the Present".  This one originated as  a series of lectures for undergraduates at Yale University and it's original purpose was to respond to concerns at the time about diseases such as severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) avian flu and Ebola that were not met within the established courses on offer to undergraduates at Yale. Of course, it expanded into  a lot more then just those three.

It is actually a study of the history of such epidemics and pandemics.  The author considered such a study an underdeveloped subject in the undergraduate curriculum of US universities in general. The course, therefore, was his attempt to meet what seemed a significant need for the discussion, from an interdisciplinary perspective, of the ways that infectious diseases have played a substantial role in shaping human societies and continue to pose a threat to their survival.

So far, I find it very interesting. Of course I have read two other books on the subject during my enforced stay at home these past four or five months..I began with "The Great Influenza" bu John Barry about the 1918 - 1921 flu pandemic and my interest at first was about it's history because my grandmother's baby sister died in that one. When I finished that one, my interest was peaked and so I read "The End of October" about the same pandemic. This one, which is 504 pages long, appears to be more about, not just that one, but several we have endured in our lifetimes.

So, more later...

Paco came over a little bit ago to tell me the air conditioning man had not come yet. His apartment is hot and Suzanne called him yesterday about it. She is out at the lake with Steve's family for a family reunion.

I got tired of reading and then Krystal and her daughter came to mow at about 2:30PM so I turned off the TV. They did a good job..as usual. If it cools down any, I will trim later this week.The wind is blowing something fierce.

I watched some Forensic Files on Amazon Prime and later at 7:00PM took my bath. I went on to bed at 9:00PM. It has been another boring day.



2 comments:

Galla Creek said...

I have thought about reading about 1918, but was afraid it would depress me.
When we are past this crisis maybe I will read these.

Margie's Musings said...

They are interesting, Sister-Three.