Saturday, April 4, 2009

Unemployment Reason

I have been following the recession news and the unemployment rates. The unemployment rates are huge in America primarily because we have been outsourcing jobs for years. I called Dell support for help with my computer a few years ago and reached a man in India that I could barely understand. I finally had to ask for another tech to help me. One that could speak English.

The unemployment rate is 4.5% for college grads. That's phenomenal! Most of these people have awful college loans to repay and now they cannot even find a job. That's not even to mention those without college degrees. Their jobs are the first to go. I expect unemployment to reach 10 - 15% by this time next year unless large companies stop outsourcing jobs. Cessna is sending their latest plane to China to be built. How does that help our economy?

When will these companies realize that when they outsource jobs, they cut the throats of their own people.

I was visiting with a Baxter Springs woman in the Tulsa airport this week and she and her daughter both work for IBM. IBM is now outsourcing accounting jobs and laying off American accountants.. That's really scary. How can a company that large outsource their accounting?

I think it is owed to American taxpayers to keep jobs in America...especially in a serious recession. Large companies especially can decide to do that. Companies like Dell and IBM are doing the country a disservice. They make huge profits anyway. They must. They pay enormous bonuses to their executives. Then they send their best paying jobs abroad to people who will work for cheap wages. Shame!

5 comments:

Betty said...

Big corporations have let their greed outweigh their loyalty to their country. I think they should have to move their corporate offices out of the country, too. Why should they enjoy every good thing their country has to offer, while not participating in its economy? They should be subject to heavy taxes and tariffs, too, when they send their products back in. Don't get me started. Grrrr.

Judy said...

Amen Margie! I totally agree that we are just hurting ourselves. Betty is right about the greed of big corporations. I read that more men are losing jobs than women. It is probably because women will do most anything and get less pay doing it than men!

Linda said...

Margie, I had the same experience as you with a person in India trying to help me. It was embarrassing but I could not understand the person.

David Brooks had a good column today. Greed isn't the only thing that's done us in. Stupidity is an equal partner in getting us into this mess.

Sansego said...

I hate saying it, but the Communist Manifesto pointed out the biggest problem with capitalism is that workers can no longer afford the products they make while the owners of the factories reap the profits for their own benefit. An economic system designed this way is destined for failure, according to that manifesto. Karl Marx was right.

Margie's Musings said...

Thanks for all your comments, folks.