Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day

It's Thanksgiving Day and first of all, I want to wish each of you a Happy Thanksgiving! It will be a very different one for our family. Scott is in Germany, Keith is here with me..at least until Sunday. Bob is gone.

Leslie is holding our Thanksgiving dinner at noon at her house. I am making pies..one pecan and one pumpkin, and a Waldorf salad. Cyndi is going to send Jeff over with her part of the dinner. She has a terrible cold and they don't expect to come now. And without Bob and Scott, it will be very strange.

Now for the bad news. Phyllis is sick...evidently very sick. She vomited twice yesterday and had a dark stool which the unit sent to the lab for analysis. She has two ulcers and they may be bleeding again. She takes pain medication and it aggravates the ulcers. She has such high glucose that now she takes insulin too. She has been non-responsive for two weeks...mostly napping in her chair and even when she's responsive on those rare moments, she's so confused. What a tragedy! Bob A. is planning to come to Thanksgiving dinner but it will be grim for him. Denise and Terry and Dee plan to come too but it will not be too festive for them either. From day to day, we never know what to expect about Phyllis' condition. Everything could change if Phyllis gets worse.

It's kind of grim I know but we are going to try to think about and count our many blessings.

One of those blessing is Keith...for many reasons...but the latest one is the fact that for my birthday on the 2nd, he brought me a new desktop computer and printer. He will take the Dell desktop home with him and see if he can get it running again. He bought the printer because Windows 7 doesn't recognize the old HP printer. The new one was on sale at Wal Mart for $29.95. That's even less then I paid for the old printer six years ago. I gave $38.00 for it and it has served me for all these years well.

Keith is just one of my blessings. My other kids and my friends are the others. Leslie had us out for some great chili last evening and we had a good visit. Keith was very tired though so we came home early and he went right to bed. I stayed up and tried to decipher Windows 7. It's still a mystery to me. It's so very different.

2 comments:

Freda said...

Sorry to hear that things are hard. But you are doing the right thing trying to count blessings. It really is a theme right now in blogland and beyond.

Margie's Musings said...

Yes, it is.