Monday, September 26, 2011

Confusing Day

Well, it started out pretty good but deteriorated from then on. One of our members called early this morning to report that she had lost a brother last night. I did some calling for that. Then I went to the store and bought a couple of sympathy cards and got those in the mail.

Then I spent an hour making sure the congregation was on the same page with making cakes for the First Christian Church in Independence. They need them on Tuesday October 4th. Our women agreed to provide 12. The First Christian Church provides a free dinner every Tuesday for anyone who needs a place to eat...the homeless, the lonely...whomever.

Then I went out to see my sister at 10:00. She was sleeping so I went to see Gerry. Gerry was in the bathroom. I stayed a while and waited but it appeared it was going to be awhile so I went back to see my sister. This time she was awake and having her physical therapy. So I stayed about thirty minutes until she got sleepy and went back to sleep and then I came home. The mail was here by then so I brought it in.

It was a package for Scott. It was mashed beyond recognition so I made the person who delivered it stay while I opened it. The contents were not damaged but I had to find another box to send it on to Scott. I took it over to Dearing where the postmistress is so helpful. By then it was noon and she was gone. So I went up to our post office where they are really difficult. I stood in line for 15 minutes only to find I had to fill out another form. They sent me out of line to do that. It took me a few minutes and when I got back in line I was back to number three.

Finally I got back to the window. By this time an hour had past.

I got back home to check the mail again and found a re-certification letter from SER-SCEP, the agency I do my job training through. It said I was to appear at the courthouse in Independence on November 15th to be re-certified. I was to bring proof of social security and a letter from my pastor saying I lived here alone. I AM the pastor. It said I could have a relative that did not live with me write a letter saying that I lived here alone. So I wrote my daughter and asked her to do that. I searched my file cabinet for my benefits letter but could not find it. I got the telephone book to look up the number for the Social Security agency in Independence but was never able to find the listing. Finally I looked online and found it. I called to get another benefits letter and (you guessed it) I got an automated clerk. It took me ten minutes to get verification that I will receive another benefits letter (in two weeks). We will see.

Then I e-mailed Aime, the director, and asked in what room I was to appear. She got back with me and asked me what room I was going to be in. I e-mailed her back and told her I had asked her that question. The phone rang. She called me and said I was confused. She said the meeting would be in Coffeyville not Independence and would be held at my work site. I read her the letter that plainly said Independence at the court house. Also she said I would be working that morning. I told her I worked Wednesday through Friday but that date was a Tuesday. She told me to arrange to work Tuesday through Thursday that week. I really don't think I was the one confused.

So we will meet at my work site November 15th from 8 until 12. It's now 2:10 and I haven't had lunch yet.

Whew!

3 comments:

clairz said...

Margie, I think that there is some kind of secret rule that this stuff should happen to retired people, because we are the only ones who have the time and patience to stand in lines and make the phone calls to sort out these situations!

Margie's Musings said...

I hope that's it, Clair. I don't want too many more days like yesterday. :)

marlu said...

Good grief! I guess mistakes can happen but that is about four too many for one "go round"