Saturday, June 16, 2012

Back At Windsor Place

Phyllis is back at Windsor Place. They went to great lengths to give her their very best care. She was moved by ambulance on the air mattress from her hospital bed but Hospice had ordered her in a new bed with an air mattress that inflated and un-inflated with the movement of her body. That is to help to keep her from getting bed sores. Sara, the authoritative aide, got six of them together and they lifted Phyllis from the bed onto the new bed by using the sheet. It worked beautifully. They settled her with a pillow between her knees and one under the broken leg. They are to remove the brace on her leg at night so the skin can breathe. Every twenty minutes one of them is to check on her. They are to turn her every two hours. After breakfast this morning, Bob and I will go out there and see how the night went. The Hospice nurse told us yesterday that she could live for weeks on the water and resources of her body. I don't expect that to happen though. I can imagine her living without food for quite a while but not without water.

I went to bed at 8:30 last night but it was not to be. The phone rang as soon as I got to sleep. For some reason, I was exhausted. It was Richard, the man I had asked to repair the ceiling at the church. He wants to meet me out there at 9:00. He and Jeff, his son, will repair that ceiling again in a couple of weeks. The roof repair was almost a year ago and it has not leaked again. So now we can have the ceiling in the sanctuary repaired.

Then I will go see Phyllis and stay awhile to be sure of her care. At noon, I will come home to dress for the graveside services for the mother of a classmate that I am to do at 1:00.

More later...

Amazing! Out at Windsor, they have been able to get Phyllis to take water. She got 260 ccs yesterday and 140ccs so far today. And...she spoke again. I heard her say "I'm home" last night and today Bob and Sara heard her say "I'm feeling fine."

Maybe miracles do happen. They've taken the brace off. When they took it off last night they found an open sore on her knee where it had rubbed. Now that happened at the hospital but no one told us about it. Windsor medicated it and put a bandage over it. Then they documented it and called Hospice about it and also the hospital.

After the memorial service, I went out to Windsor and talked to Sara. She had been able to get Phyllis to eat one small carton of that high calorie ice cream stuff this morning and was in the process of getting a second one down her when I arrived. Phyllis was swallowing it on her own.

They had given her a bed bath and had changed her gown. She was bright eyed again. The Hospice nurse had given them permission to try to get her pureed dinner down her this evening. She appeared to be alert again. They also managed to get her to drink water from a glass.

1 comment:

Betty said...

Sounds like she's getting excellent care. Good for them! You can rest easier, at least for a while.