Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Day Monday

It was a very busy Sunday yesterday. We had a really good time over at Marilyn's. There were ten of us. We have lost four. Richard has found other fun things to do with his Sunday evenings, Barbara moved away, Howard and Judy moved away too. But the rest of us are really enjoying our time together. Last night, after we ate, we heard a DVD lecture on substitutionary atonement by Marcus Borg and spent the rest of the evening discussing it. Most of us agreed we could not love a God who would even consider sacrificing his own son to atone for the sins of the world. We consider such a doctrine the work of the very early Christian church leaders. Most people don't do their own thinking though. They simply take the words of ancient men seriously and do not question the reality of the time and culture out of which those words came.

I got home about 9:00 and stayed up until 10:00. I slept really well. Joyce had fixed the bar b q and it was really good. Marilyn had a variety of drinks and all were very good. Karan brought brownies and someone else brought some ice cream so we really feasted.

I don't know what I will do today. I should have changed my bed but I'll do that one day this week. Wednesday we decided to go to Joplin since the road is open now. Bob wants to go to Bed Bath and Beyond. He wanted to look for a wall mounted shaving mirror. I told him he should wait to buy anything until after Christmas.

I had a biscuit and a banana for breakfast with some warmed over coffee. In a little bit I will fix myself some Chi.

We will have hamburger pie for lunch/dinner. Bob will bring a salad to go with it and we will eat the last of the cupcakes for dessert.

More later....

The hamburger pie was delicious. Bob brought a nice salad. We had the last two cupcakes for dessert. I tried to take a nap this afternoon but just couldn't go to sleep. American Experience is on PBS tonight at 8:00 and I want to watch it.

I went to the post office this afternoon and dropped a sympathy card in the mail for Deloris. She suddenly lost her daughter last week. That has got to be the worst thing ever....to lose a child.

2 comments:

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Hamburger Pie sounds delicious and as to theology one of my first questions as a very young child was Where Did Cain Get His Wife ? :)
No one's answered it satisfactorily yet.
Furthermore I grew up with ONE story...Adam came first, then Eve. How did all of the classes and storybooks miss the other story..there are two stories there, one right after another. When you really read and study the Bible yourself it is amazing what you miss out on if you just take someone else's teaching for granted.
Then as a child I found in about 4th or 5th grade or so, that it was more interesting to read the Bible during church than listen to the minister's sermon. HA! I sat there in the pew reading the shocking story of David and Bathsheba thinking "hey this old testament is pretty cool / they never taught us THIS one in sunday school !" : )

ChuckFu said...

Wow, that is pretty much the basis of the Bible, that god gave his only begotten son, so that we may have life. but then mom you and I know we won't agree on that