Sunday, August 12, 2018

Sunday and Church

I slept fairly well last night although I woke up with both ears sore from sleeping on my side.

I have dressed for church, fed myself and have the coffeecake in the oven. Missy wants to go outside. So I will finish this in a little while.

More later....

Well, we went out for awhile but Missy chose to try to run off so I picked her up and brought her back in the house.She hissed and spit at me all the way.  Ornery cat!  Anyhow, I got the coffeecake out of the oven and when it cooled, I iced it.

I watched a little news but in a little while I will call Phyllis and tell her I have the coffeecake and I will drive this morning. We try to take just one car instead of three separate ones  to park at the church.  I imagine we will go to "Just Us" for lunch. It has been a couple of weeks since we ate there.

When I get home, I will get the congregation's newsletter out and then the afternoon is free until 60 Minutes comes on at 6:00.

They are planning to repeat that episode with Oprah that features the new museum in Atlanta that shows a few thousand  blocks of wood hanging from the ceiling with the names of a few thousand blacks who were lynched in the past.

In that day, if they couldn't find the man to hang, they hung his wife or his children. It's one of the terrible events of our history here in America.  I think of it as the American Holocaust. Just as the German people would like to forget their holocaust, many of our citizens would like to forget ours.

I imagine most people would like to forget that history but it is very personal to the black population. We have never, as a nation, apologized for what many of our ancestors did in our past. History has shown however, if a people don't study their history and be aware of the mistakes of their past, chances are they could repeat those events. I hope I will be able to get a picture that doesn't tear this evening. If not, I can watch it tomorrow evening on Amazon Prime.

As another example, during the great depression, the then president, Hoover, put tariffs on imported goods from Europe. Europe rebutted by putting their own tariffs on our goods and that only deepened the depression. It is obvious the present generation of politicians have not studied their history because we are in the process of repeating that mistake. It is already hurting our farm population and I predict that it will soon influence the cost of everything. The cost of an imported automobile is going up $2,000.

I have called Phyllis and I will pick up Bob and then her about 9:00AM.

More later...

Church went well. Leslie did a neat sermon called "The Bread of Life" and illustrated it with a selection of real bread. Chris, our latest guest, came back after Leslie texted him an invitation.  That was neat! I sent him another newsletter today today even though he was there today.

We did go to "Just Us" for lunch today. It had been two or three weeks since we were there.

More later...

I got the newsletters finished pretty quickly and put them out on the mailbox to be mailed.  Then I watched the PGA Golf championships. I had a hard time getting a decent picture so I logged on to it on my notebook computer.  Finally, it cleared up and I watched 60 Minutes.

After that, I took my bath and Missy and I watched a couple of episodes of Perry Mason on Amazon Prime. Then at 9:30PM, we both went on to bed.




No comments: