Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lots of Concerns

Life is complicated. My garage door opener broke last night and it is taking all day to get it fixed. Last night I was on my way to the city commission meeting and when I tried to open the garage door the opener just buzzed and flashed lights but the door did not go up. I finally just yanked on the cord to get it to open manually. Then I couldn't see anything wrong so I called a friend's husband to come look at it and see if he could see anything wrong with it. He came while I was at work this morning and took it down and took it apart to see that the gear inside (a plastic part) was worn out. He sent me to Independence to get another gear, I went up there and found that the Independence Overhead Door Company was closed. A woman came along and said they were probably closed for Neewallah. (Neewallah is going on this week.).

So I called a friend with a Bartlesville phone book and got the number of their overhead door company and started for Bartlesville. I got seven miles out of Independence and Independence Overhead Door Company called me back. They were only closed for lunch. I turned around in the middle of the highway and started back. I took the mechanism in and asked them to put a new gear in it for me. They said no one was around who could do that. The receptionist also told me they come to Coffeyville on Fridays. Steve, the owner was there but he did not offer to install the assembly for me. He just went and got it out of the stroreroom and sold it to me. He said if I couldn't get it in myself, they came to Coffeyville on Fridays and they would do it then. It was obvious he wanted a house call. I took the part (it cost $55.00) and Bobby Maritt, Karan's husband, will put it in for me but I will never ask Bobby to help me again. He installed our hot water tank when Bob was sick, put the water filter in my refrigerator, fixed my mower last summer, and now has worked on this garage door opener. That is asking too much of a friend. I should have just called Independence Overhead Door to come on Friday. I didn't dream it would be so complicated.

Last night I was appointed to the library board. That was the only bright spot.

Lots to think about. Lots to deal with.

Life gets complicated.

No comments: